Start the "Countdown Thread" again, FAA officially proposes age 67

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Coool Hand Luke

WASHINGTON, D.C. ? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Michael Huerta today announced that the FAA will propose to raise the mandatory retirement age for U.S. commercial pilots from 65 to 67. Speaking before pilots and aviation experts at the National Press Club, Huerta said that the agency plans to propose adopting the new International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard that allows one pilot to be up to age 67 provided the other pilot is under age 60.

The FAA plans to issue a formal Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) later this year and will publish a final rule after careful consideration of all public comments, as required by law.

?A pilot?s experience counts ? it?s an added margin of safety,? said Huerta. ?Foreign airlines have demonstrated that experienced pilots in good health can fly beyond age 65 without compromising safety.?

On July 1, 2012, Administrator Huerta established a group of airline, labor and medical experts to recommend whether the United States should adopt the new ICAO standard and determine what actions would be necessary if the FAA were to change its rule. The Age 65 Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) did not reach a consensus recommendation but did provide detailed insight and analysis that will be helpful as the FAA develops a rule.

Since 1959, the FAA has required that all U.S. pilots stop flying commercial airplanes at age 60. In November 2006, ICAO, the United Nations? aviation organization, increased the upper age limit for pilots to age 65, provided that the other pilot is under age 60. On December 13, 2006, President Bush signed into law the "Fair Treatment of Experienced Pilots Act," establishing age 65 as the mandatory pilot retirement age.

The July 1, 2012 Age 65 ARC report, appendices, and public comments are available online at Regulations.gov, docket number 26139.

I was told the elimination of the one pilot under 60 portion of the rule was discussed at a recent ICAO meeting. Out of 180 country's 110 will say yes but it take 18 months for everybody to vote.

That does it . . . I'm buying stock in Kimberly-Clark . . . . makers of "Depend" adult diapers. Kind of a career hedge-fund.

I just looked online on regulations.gov and that number was for the age 60 to 65 period ending in 2009.....but who knows....but i do know there will be a lot of people ready to throw down and get rid of these egotistical, selfish, greedy aholes and ill be leading that charge if its true. I will gladly make their life a living hell.

I will make a proposal that every FO refuse to fly with anyone over the age of 65. This is b:&[email protected] need to kill this now.

I wonder if each union can put something in their contract that says all pilots over a certain age (65) can still fly but as a FO. That would limit hiring but not upgrades. If they filed a law suit maybe the court would say it is a contract issue. Just a thought for all the lawyers on here. They would have the right to continue to work but not in the left seat.

Please return the hooks, lines, and sinkers.

It's a hoax.

Latest resources

Back