• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AAPvtPilot

Gold Member I love Gooold
Happy Holidays to everyone,

Could anyone that has been through the Ground school portion of training please assist me by sharing with me some of the Standard Call Outs taught in ground school. I am trying to prepare myself for an interview....whenever that happens, but i would like to have some good techniques down before I get there. Thank you so much for your help. And Good Luck to everyone out there waiting for an interview......

Henry[email protected][email protected]

I'm not sure what you're asking about, but I think you are looking for the wrong thing. If you are in an interview, they are not going to ask you about things you do not know. They will ask about things you do know. I havn't heard anyone tell me that an interviewer asked them any callouts, and if they did, it would be someone who works at a place that has them. Also, every airline has different ones, and it would be difficult for the interviewer to know if you had them right for your company. I would suggest you learn the regs and procedures and aircraft that you currently operate, since that is what they are likely to ask you.

Some standard callouts might be 1000 to go, when you are 1000 feet from an altitude in a jet, but in a turboprop they may call out 100 feet to go. Some callouts are part of the checklist, and others are SOP's. Honestly, I think you would be wasting your time memorizing these, and if you told an interviewer you knew them, he would be curious as to why you took the time to know them. Just stick to what you do now, and someday you will be making those callouts at your first airline. Good luck to you.

skydiverdriver,

Thanks for the info. I clearly see what you are saying.
Thanks again.

AAPvtPilot

AAPvtPilot.
If I understood you correctly, When you get to ground school with the airlines, understand that calls and flows are deffirent from one airline to the other , But I could tell you this. Knowing your calls and flows BEFORE you get to the sim will make things SOO much easier on you. I have seen some pilots struggle in the sim because of that. Good luck and happy newyear.

AA,

Post me a private message, with your address, and I'll get something together to cover the basics. It will give you an idea of what to look for.

Some things are aircraft or company specific, but there are basic calls that everyone uses in just about the same form. Gear and flaps most always require a double confirmation from both pilots; it hasn't been called on the checklist until both pilots verify it. On the takeoff, airspeed alive, V1, and Rotate are pretty generic. Positive rate gear up is another. Call out of ten when leaving ten thousand, and state the speed restriction, if any. Same arriving, ten, for two fifty.

Climbing through 180 call for the transition check, reset altimeters, check oxygen, etc. Most firms have calls of a thousand to go and five hundred to go, for altitude. Same on the descent.

If you receive a heading change, relay it, and state the altitude with it. It's a good habit to always call heading and altitude together, even if one of the two hasn't changed.

If you're flying and the pilot not flying confirms a new altitude from ATC, repeat it back. If you're off and are advised by your cohort, thank him and advise that you're correcting.

On descent, call the minimums. Some folks will call XXX feet to go, but that leaves things wide open. State XXX feet to minimums. In this manner it doesn't matter if minimums are MDA or DH; you're just got XXX to go to minimums. Standard calls are typically a thousand to mins, five hundred to mins, and then down in 100' increments. AT your missed point, advise field in/not in sight. Call airspeed, glideslope/localizer deviation, rate of descent in hundreds,etc.

Get in the habit of pointing to or touching everything when you're completing a checklist segment, and keep one finger on the checklist in case you stop...avoid missing items. If you get pulled away from the checklist, execute it again, completely. If you do memory items for an abnormal or emergency checklist, review them again on the printed checklist anyway, when it's time to clean up. Never leave things to memory. If you reach a point on a check that needs to be held, such as you're to flaps, but the PF doesn't want flaps yet, put your finger there, and anounce, "holding on flaps." When you're complete with one checklist, announce that it's complete, and you're holding on the next (approach complete, holding prelanding checks). Basic stuff.

Specifics will be with each company, and also with each airplane. Give me a shout, and I'll try to get a list of the basics together for you. You can review those with your present flying, and it will give you a bit of a headstart when you're flyign with another person in the cockpit, or doing sim drills. If you happen to be doing any insrtructing, it's not a bad habit to instill in your students, no matter what kind of flying they intend to go on and do. I encourage folks to read checklists out loud and make the calls, even when they're alone. Anyway...give me a yell and remind me what I said, and then be patient. Good luck!

I am looking for the same things. I have had the opportunity to be able to fly right seat in a Navajo (under Part 91) a lot. We try to makeup our own call-outs like that airlines use. Like, 1000 to go, 500 to go, 200 to go, positive rate of climb - gear up, give me approach flaps, etc... we love flying like that - the crew type flying stuff. If you have any web sites that has some info can you please let me know?

Thanks a lot!

My friend and I do the same thing in the Nav. Familiarity with a professional atmosphere will be a great preparation.

Get your multi as soon as possible so you can start flying the dead legs, and can LOG THE TIME!!!!

Latest resources

Back