• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stall speed on big airliners?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MD11 at max weight has even faster clean stall speeds, hence clean min man of 289 kts for 1.3 Vs. Do the math!

If you make fun of a rookie long enough, all you get is someone who is hesitent or even somewhat afraid to ask questions because of fear of ridicule. Having someone in the air who is afraid to address gaps in his knowledge, because some all-knowing 3500hr Yeager wannabe busted his balls, is much more dangerous than giving out super-classified, top secret Vs info on the whale.
Eggzackery. This isn't that 'psycix' guy who always asks for pay and QOL anytime absolutely ANY company is mentioned. This is someone with a legit question, the same kind of things I wondered about as a student pilot.

Some of you jerk-@ffs are so jaded I wonder if you're not becoming a hazard in the air. Lighten the #%@^ up already! :mad:

Minh

Vref Flaps 30 (Normal all engine landing flaps),at 500,000LBS landing weight is 135KIAS.

Last edited:
Snakum said:
Eggzackery. This isn't that 'psycix' guy who always asks for pay and QOL anytime absolutely ANY company is mentioned. This is someone with a legit question, the same kind of things I wondered about as a student pilot.

Some of you jerk-@ffs are so jaded I wonder if you're not becoming a hazard in the air. Lighten the #%@^ up already! :mad:

Minh
You're right. I feel much more comfortable with this guy's legitimate questions and observations.

Like this one:
Unanswerd said:
Now what if, I really wanted to attempt to hijack an airplane and fly it into a building. If I've been using all these recourses at my disposal, is there any doubt that I'd have a decent chance of succeeding??? Airliners are complex, but when you don't have to take off and don't have to land, is it really that difficult to simply point a large Boeing in a desired direction???

:rolleyes:

I wasn't speaking to the question you quoted, rather to the question he asked in this thread.

Try to keep up ... m'kay?

A great big :rolleyes: rightbackatcha Spelling & Punctuation Boy! :D

Minh

GravityHater said:
holy crap 205kts, that means vref (about 1.3vso) is going to be near 265kts. Almost impossible to believe.

Well, I can't believe THIS comment from someone who supposedly is a pilot with 2500 hrs. He11, even the most inexperienced of student pilots should know the difference in stall speeds clean and dirty...or when something seems SO far out of the ordinary that it should at least be questioned.

But, I guess this is the future of the piloting "profession". "Dudes" taking it up to "four one f*ckin' oh" hootin' and hollerin' all the way without the slightest clue as to what is going on around them or what their aircraft is telling them. Or not questioning the fact that the guy next to you just handed you a TOLD card with Vref as 265 kts.:rolleyes:

Snakum said:
I wasn't speaking to the question you quoted, rather to the question he asked in this thread.

Try to keep up ... m'kay?

A great big :rolleyes: rightbackatcha Spelling & Punctuation Boy! :D

Minh
Well, OK, I'll break out a scorecard and a sharpened #2 pencil then. :)

The "rolleyes" was directed at Unanswerd's hijacking post, and not at you or your observation; don't take it as a personal insult.

My comment refers not to the specific question posed by Unanswerd in this thread, but to his greater "body of work", if you will. Occasionally he stumbles across a question that sounds like the product of an inquisitive curiosity. Unfortunately, however, he suffers the curse of his own track record. If anybody else had asked about stall speeds of a large airliner, I might believe it was an honest question, motivated by an innocent curiosity. However, when the guy that elsewhere proclaims that he has received access to sufficient knowledge to perform another 9/11-type attack, I am a bit more suspicious of the motives.

:)

NookyBooky said:
If you make fun of a rookie long enough, all you get is someone who is hesitent or even somewhat afraid to ask questions because of fear of ridicule. Having someone in the air who is afraid to address gaps in his knowledge, because some all-knowing 3500hr Yeager wannabe busted his balls, is much more dangerous than giving out super-classified, top secret Vs info on the whale.

............as if Vs on a forty year old airliner is a matter of national security, he could probably buy a POH for the whale on ebay

Amen.

TonyC said:
However, when the guy that elsewhere proclaims that he has received access to sufficient knowledge to perform another 9/11-type attack, I am a bit more suspicious of the motives.

Tony C,

That is the most humorous thing I've seen from you to date. I am flattered. You actually think I'm going to attempt to hijack an aircraft??? I wasn't "proclaiming" that I had this special knowledge needed to perform a 9/11-type attack. I was simply discussing the fact that this knowledge is virtually available to anyone willing to acquire it. It was, if you will, a simple discussion topic. The fact that you'd somehow take it as something more than that, is laughable.

I know you despise me, and my questions, and are convinced that I'm a troll. But please...now I am a terrorist???

By the way, I'm now going to conclude this sentence without using a period, because I know you wont be able to sleep for days

I've been flying in my 172 for 10 years now, and its stall speed is 44 kts in the clean configuration. Now thats fast!!Don't even get me started on different bank angles. Yippee.

Latest resources

Back