Stall Speed Increase during Bank Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Couple Ways

1. You are operating at less than max gross weight since the marked stall speeds are for max gross. (less weight = less AOA for a given airspeed at a constant altitude)

2. You forgot the pitot cover :)

Skeezer

Slip

I was thinking at first it was a CAS problem, but I'll vote for slip. After all, in a slip, the relative wind isn't packing the pitot properly but kind of blowing across it.

PS - Pitot cover is good. :D

Last edited:
Slip is a good answer, however, who wants to try a slip below Vso. Better be good on that spin recovery. :)

Ok, here's a question. What happens to the aircraft's stall speed as the load factor goes less than 1?

Vs would decrease. The airplane wieghs less, and thus needs less AOA to keep it's weight airborne at a given speed which translates to a lower Vs. I'm not sure if that's physically accurate, but it works in my head.

Now, how does altitude affect Vs?

Fly some aerobatics.

This question becomes simple when you have flown some aerobatics. Pitch up to 45 degrees, good pullllll about 4gs.

Stop. Set. as IAS approaches off scale unload and roll hard left with full aileron and rudder. You will need it all in a Decathalon or Citabria. Keep the aircraft unloaded and you will apporach zero IAS and gently "wing over" toward 90 degress.

The stall horn may beep but you are not stalled just floating. Doing this in an Extra 300 you will find enough aileron to roll the airplane 360 degrees with almost no indicated AS.

If you don't make the wing make lift, It don't stall.

"I have the mind of a four year old, and he was glad to be rid of it ." Groucho Marx

Eagleflip,

Gravity doesn't neceesarily "fall," but at lesser elevations or distances from the earth's center, it affects a "falling" object with an acceleration of 32.2 feet per second, per second. (or 32.2 feet per second squared).

Traffic lights know you're coming because you look at them. Try looking somewhere else, such as looking at a cross street as though you intend to turn. You may be surprised how many more lights you can go through. Traffic lights in most systems are tied to timers which do vary with the time of day, and traffic density. The timers are generally designed to allow a vehicle moving at a specific speed to move from one light to the next with a certain amount of leeway. The timing is altered when numerous cars in "wolf packs" (the traffic terminology, not mine) change the traffic flow rate.

Traffic lights are tied into opposing lights on the same intersection, and often on other intersections. These lights change their timeing due to traffic presence and counters using either weight pads or in most cases magnetic detectors implanted in the pavement just prior to the crosswalks. Light timing in one direction on a particular street may be changed or altered, and thus the pattern of the lights on that street, by opposing traffic counts or waiting traffic on the detectors.

FYI, most large cities have gone to laser and electronic systems for the lights for use by emergency vehicles, to change the light timing and effect a "green light" as the emergency vehicle approaches the intersection. This is done to expedite the emergency vehicle, and also to clear opposing traffic to lessen the chance of an accident. In some cases, it's done just the opposite. All lights turn red, stopping traffic and clearing the intersection, for emergency vehicles to get through.

I suggest just looking the other way; never let the light see you looking at it.

Only Bobbysamd can tell you about the Broncos. That's a sport's team, right? Or are you talking about the ubiquitous OV-10D?

Stall speed increases in the turn because a higher angle of attack, for a given airspeed, is required to achieve the same vertical lift component, as previously described. You can either increase total lift by increasing airspeed, or angle of attack (or both). In a level turn with no speed increase, one can only increase angle of attack. Therefore, the aircraft is closer to a stall, or it will stall at a higher speed.

However, stall speed may increase climbing and descending, not just level turns. The degree to which it increases will depend on the load factor induced. The lesser the load factor, the lesser the increase. (for a given airspeed). The number of variables increases, but the principle remains the same. Ultimately, the recovery remains the same. Get out of the bank, recover your "lost" lift. Lower A0A required, lower stall speed.

Latest resources

Back