Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Buschpilot

Large Member
Whats the standard number (if there is one) of pilots to man a 135 on-demand aircraft?

Thanks in advance.

B

I'm not sure about 135 ops, but NBAA recommends 3 pilots per aircraft in the corporate world. Hope this helps.

That's perfect. I did leave one thing out, though...is that 3 captains and 3 fo's, or three total?

Thanks!

On demand 135?
many will operate with TWO!, sometimes on the beeper 24/7 also...needless to say they have high turnover!
4 is a good number I say, all depends on how much you fly and the type of operation.

Part 91 Corporate... We have 4 per plane... our single aircraft out stations have 3 pilots each, but they fly less than the main base aircraft...

Part 91 Corporate, 2 pilots for 3 aircraft, but we only fly one at a time for the most part. Sometimes the helicopter and piston twin run simultaneously. We are looking to hire one more pilot in about 18 to 24 months.

I always thought 3/plane was standard

Every 135 outfit I worked for seemed to shoot for 3 pilots per plane.

But I guess it would depend on different circumstances.

I worked for one operator (pt 135) that had three full time pilots for 5 pilot seats. (2 Lears and a piston twin). Needless to say, it got interesting around dispatch when you had two last minute trips come up for the Lears.

Try the NBAA Benchmark Survey. It has several good formulas that can help justify the ratios.

CL60 hit on it, but try the NBAA survey. It gives you two formulas based on either days available to be flown or hours flown.

Extrapolated from that formula if the airplane is available to be flown 180 days per year or less you need 1 crew. Or if you fly less than 200 hours per year 1 crew is all you need.

For a 135 example, the airplane is available for 330 days (365-35 day’s mx) per year using that formula you need 2.5 crews (i.e. 3 captains, 2 copilots). Or flying 700 hours per year you also need 2.5 crews.

Of course these formulas don't mean squat in the 135 world. They'll fly with as little crews as they can to cover their trips. I can remember putting in 110 flight-hour months being the only Lear Captain for a sleaze bag 135 operator.

Latest resources

Back