St. Tropez or Sardinia info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sardinia

No help on St Tropez, but I can tell you that Sardinia is a wonderful place to visit. It's one of the high-end "summer" islands for the well-to-do europeans, and it's a lovely place. I've spent time on the southern coast in the town of Cagliari, quite beautiful, relatively affordable, and some nice beaches if you're willing to go looking. I found some of the clearest water I've ever seen there.

Olbia, near the northeast corner of Sardinia, is a huge destination. Several movie-star types have estates near there, so that gives you an indication of both the appeal and the expense involved.

The entire island is gorgeous, the people are very laid-back and friendly, and there are some stunning women there (not that it's important to you)...

I wish I had recommendations for where to stay, but it's been a few years and my memory isn't quite what she used to be. Hope this gets you started.

Viliamu

Just got back from the Nice, FR area. Are you looking for airport info or tourist type stuff?

We did a round robin hitting 3 or 4 of the airports on Sardinia one day last year. Very benign flying with no surprises. We only stayed a couple hours at each airport so no sightseeing. Just ran the APU and relaxed. I wish we could have spent more time as it looked very nice.:)

rice said:
Just got back from the Nice, FR area. Are you looking for airport info or tourist type stuff?

Rice I want your job man! Btw, I posted some gouge on Crete awhile back. How did that go?

Last time I was in Nice was was about 12 yrs ago. We stayed in a little room about 1 block off the beach and it smell like a cheap French ho! The beach was less than desirable, nothing but rocks.

Sardinia is a different story. The island is like New Mexico with Maui type beaches. Outside of Santorini, one of the more beautiful places I've ever been. On the flying side, some of the worst crosswinds I've ever had have been going into Olbia in the winter, often 20-25 knots 90 deg off. Summer time, piece of cake. Tito and the guys at the FBO there will treat you first class.

VVJM265 said:
Rice I want your job man! Btw, I posted some gouge on Crete awhile back. How did that go?

Last time I was in Nice was was about 12 yrs ago. We stayed in a little room about 1 block off the beach and it smell like a cheap French ho! The beach was less than desirable, nothing but rocks.

Sardinia is a different story. The island is like New Mexico with Maui type beaches. Outside of Santorini, one of the more beautiful places I've ever been. On the flying side, some of the worst crosswinds I've ever had have been going into Olbia in the winter, often 20-25 knots 90 deg off. Summer time, piece of cake. Tito and the guys at the FBO there will treat you first class.

VVJM265,
Be careful what you wish for!!!! Its nowhere near as good as it appears (but thats another thread).
Yeah, the Crete gouge was great. Unfortunately the island is kinda hurting economically so it was very quiet (boring). We did the Boutari tour and bought a case of wine visited Knossos and drove over to Chania to pass the time. Not bad but could've been better.
Now Nice, well that was a good trip. Stayed in Monaco and had a great time. Lots to do with all the beaches, old villages, and the city of Monaco right there. Good but expensive food.

that marriott in monaco is a bit tired but five star location. the beach in Nice is the best- lots of eyeball liberty. food is superb. looking fwd to next trip.

m3pilot1 said:
anyone have any info on these two places

Sardinia hotels are extremely expensive and full much of the high season. Make sure you have a reservation in hand before you show up. Don't be suprised if the rates are in excess of $700.00 per night. Food is great but off the chart in cost.

We were able to put our airplane in the hangar that is operated by the local airline. Sorry cannot think of the name of that airline as I respond here but if that is important to you, PM me and I will do some research. One of our airplanes is enroute to Sardinia as we speak so I can get the latest if you need some specific info.

Here is some tribal knowledge; Don't be flirting with the local women, especially back in the ciies inland. The men take extreme offense to this and may respond accordingly.

dont flirt with the sheep either

The hanger company is Meridiana, and the handling company is excellent. Very very busy this week, and most of the summer. Very expensive.
There is a great hotel, great for crew on the beach...(SAND)...translated it means sheep can not pronounce its correct name. about 10 mins from airport.......no internet....but great views....

Now can you say NICE has a beach it is a rock fall looking for a place to hide...yes the view is good...but thats europe in summer it all looks good....

Bumz

Latest resources

Back