St. Thomas (TIST)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NYRANGERS

Well it seems the destination has changed. Anyone have experience flying to ST. Thomas? Do you need to clear customs since it is a US territory? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

NYR

Yes you still have to clear customs in the US, there is a pre customs option there also, when you land, ask your handler at the FBO about this option, I don't have all the specifics, but in a short answer, you still have to clear customs when you land back in the US, and you will also clear customs over there with US customs people also, it is weird, but that is how they do it

Concur

Although its been two years since my last trip to St. Thomas, it was the same for me. Expect to clear customs on both ends (who knows why?). The "locals" have that island formality about them and it will do no good to ask why, so my best advice is play the game and go through whatever wickets they say to.

BTW stay away from ALL hotels near the airport. Marriott Frenchmens Reef was good to me and has a nice beach but their are many others to choose from as well.

Again thanks for the help and advice. I forgot how much more work goes into flying part 91 and 135. One more question.....How can you tell if you are going to operate in RVSM airspace? I went to the web site and it looks like portions will be in rvsm airspace (over san juan).

NYR

TIST

I agree....Frenchmens reef hotel is nice. Stay out of the "rural" neighborhoods at night....not cool. Plan on showing up early the day of departure out of Thomas if your going to Bulke aviation...very slow service no matter how nice you are. Mangager is cool, but his help could care less. Other than that, you must clear outbound out of the U.S. then again in TIST....not sure why, but thats how Customs wants it. Good luck, have fun.

I used the other FBO for our handling and other services and it worked out really well. Make sure you clear out of the US by calling the customs port you are departing from or by calling a customs port to get a clearance number. Call the FBO in St. Thomas with everyones date of births, passport numbers, and full names. You won't have to clear customs upon entry into St. Thomas, but you can either pre-clear or stop in the US to clear. The customs ramp is on the airline side of the airport and you need to arrive early on your departure day. Tell your passengers to arrive at the main terminal at Gate 10 to meet you for customs pre-clearing. You will be able to fuel and do everything on the customs ramp. I don't know where you are heading once you leave TIST, but for the northeast I would use Wilmington(KILM) for a customs stop. As far as RVSM airspace, if you are departing out of the Northeast you will definitely enter it. On your 5 and 6 High charts and your Latin America charts you will see it clearly marked. You will also have to use your UHF if you are headed out of the Northeast. Hope this helps.

You have to clear customs and imigration. I forget the gate area, but I just taxied there, got out and went into the customs/immigration area of the terminal. No big deal

Last year, I used to fly to St. Thomas monthly in a Westwind out of Philadelphia Northeast. We used Bolke. It is now called St. Thomas Jet Center. The managers name is Roy. Great guy.

Anyways Customs is very easy. No outbound customs is required when leaving the US. I guess since St. Thomas is technically US.

As far as returning to the US, you have two options:

1. Depart St. Thomas and clear Customs in Miami or Wilmington, NC. Wilmington being the Northern most Customs you can legally use without an overflight permit. No outbound Customs is required out of St. Thomas but Customs stateside wants 24 hrs notice before your arrival. I have used both Miami and Wilmington before, nice guys but very slow.

Be sure to not have any food on the plane when you get there. We had a few apples in Wilmington and the Customs officer through a fit.

2. Pre-clear Customs in St. Thomas. They open at 0800 lcl and are usually slow. Roy will make all of the arrangements. You show up at the Jet Center early and taxi the plane over to the Customs gate (they will tell you where). The Customs agent takes care of the plane and crew and the paperwork (you need two coppies of everything). Passengers also show up at the Jet Center and Roy will drive them over to the Terminal and they will have to go through Customs just like the Airline folks do. If all is well, they stamp your paperwork, close the door and you are on your way.

Now this is the killer about pre-clearing. you still have to fly into a "Manned Customs Facility" stateside. When you get there you give them a call and they reserve the right to come out and check you out again or they tell you to be on your way.

The only advantage to pre-clearing is you could fly to a manned Customs facility closer to your home base. You do not need to stop at the first available facility.

So depending where your home base is you have two choices: pre-clear or clear at the first available stateside.

Hope this helps. If you need more information or have any questions, let me know.

TSIT

Been there a few times in the last month or so...

You DO NOT need to clear customs if arriving by plane from a US point of departure.

If departing from TSIT to a US destination, yes, you can "pre-clear". HOWEVER, be very careful if you choose this option, as you will simply be put in a potentially HUGE line. Much better to just take off and clear normally in the US. Can be much quicker. Especially if you have an overflight permite and clear at your home base.

I have stayed at the Best Western's right near the airport. Plenty nice and more than adequate for a night or two.

You're correct...I just remembered we stopped for fuel in Provo, Turks and Caicos, so we entered St Thomas from there. Didn't have the legs (bladder?) in a Saratoga to make it from Ft Lauderdale to St Thomas!

Latest resources

Back