Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mullet

scattered,covered,chunked
Going back down to St. Maarten and was curious if anyone has stayed on the French side? Last time I was down there I stayed at the Maho Hotel on the Dutch side and loved it. I will be staying at the Maho again for the first 2 nights, just seeing if it worth sneeking over the French side for a night or two. Already did a search on flightinfo, and really didnt find any info on where to stay on the French side. Any suggestions?

French side is also heavily Arab on St. Maarten, but it's very nice too. I like the Dutch side better. My opinion don't count much though, I like all those places for their uniqueness.

the island is small enough to take a motor scooter to the otherside in 5 minutes if you don't like it. is it worth sneeking over to? sure.

moxiepilot said:
the island is small enough to take a motor scooter to the otherside in 5 minutes if you don't like it. is it worth sneeking over to? sure.
5 minutes??? What I remember it took us around an hour or so by private bus to get to Orient Beach. 30 minutes or so to Philipsburg by taxi. Trying to get some info before I go down, so I not spending time looking for a hotel while I am down there.

Last edited:
I prefer the Dutch side also. More down to earth people there. We always stay at the Bel-Air, or Divi.

Divi was cheap when we went down there this time last year, less than $100 a night, right on the beach, first floor, with 2 double beds. Leon the bartender at Divi is a riot also. Give him a hard time about the pistons.

Also, say hi to Balu who bartends at the Golden Eye. He's from Hungary and if you can guess that will buy you a drink. Ask him if he ever got his moped back that was stolen. Make friends with him and your night could be a ton cheaper.

I got so drunk there one night that I stayed up on the hill with a local friend of mine named Jassime. He worked for the airport security and sherriff's security. Dirt floor, cardboard walls, no running water, once in a lifetime oportunity to realize how good my life really was. If you need a local guide to show you some nifty things, look him up. He can be found overnights at Bel-Air. PM for more info if you like.

Have fun, wish I could join ya.
Z

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back