SR-71 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RadioClash

I recieved an email of an SR-71 presentation where the author was supposedly the pilot of an SR-71 mission over Libya after the F-111 raid in 1986. They were to assess the damage on this mission. During this power point type presentation, it had some really nice pictures of the SR-71 with some REALLY crappy music in the background, he is describing flying the SR-71 (which was odd as I thought that it was hush, hush) and the mission itself but what struck me as really odd about it is he says that he had a Marine Major as the RSO on this mission. I know zero about the SR-71 other than it is cool looking and fast but, were there any type of cross service crews if you will, on board?

What I meant to ask was, were there any of the other services serving as crew members in the SR-71 program? Not just particularly during that said mission.

I recieved an email of an SR-71 presentation where the author was supposedly the pilot of an SR-71 mission over Libya after the F-111 raid in 1986. They were to assess the damage on this mission. During this power point type presentation, it had some really nice pictures of the SR-71 with some REALLY crappy music in the background, he is describing flying the SR-71 (which was odd as I thought that it was hush, hush) and the mission itself but what struck me as really odd about it is he says that he had a Marine Major as the RSO on this mission. I know zero about the SR-71 other than it is cool looking and fast but, were there any type of cross service crews if you will, on board?

My last FO was an SR71 guy and he told me it's unclasified now so say all you want.

This is from "Blackbirds.net." Lots of info there. Looks like both guys were USAF.

15 Apr 1986
  • SR-71A #980 performs post bombing damage assessment flights of Libya in support of Operation "Eldorado Canyon", USAF Pilot/RSO: Jerry Glasser/ Ron Tabor (SME; BB)
15 Apr 1986
  • First operational use of KC-10s(#30079; #30082; #30075) as refueling aircraft for SR-71 (TU; LSB; SME)
16 Apr 1986
  • SR-71A #960 performs post bombing damage assessment flights of Libya in support of Operation "Eldorado Canyon", USAF Pilot/RSO: Brian Shul/ Walter Watson (BB; TU)
17 Apr 1986
  • SR-71A #980 performs post bombing damage assessment flights of Libya in support of Operation "Eldorado Canyon", USAF Pilot/RSO: Bernie Smith/ Denny Whalen (BB; TU)
17 Jul 1987

If the RSO was a Marine, then there would be no need for a pilot. All one needs is one Marine.
Gee, I guess that would explain why the Marines had the only 2-seat Hornet squadrons until the Super Hornets came out.
Once again, Rez: are you even qualified to comment on this thread?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back