Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C172Heavy

Hello,

I have a friend who wants to spread ashes over a piece of property. I would be flying a 172 and I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice to accomplish this task successfully the first time, seeing as we only have one chance.

Thanks for the help.

Fly safe!

Aside from reviewing the FARs on dropping objects, I'd first call the city and find out if you need a permit or something to scatter ashes during flight.

We used to do these quite often in a 172... There is no need to check for dropping rules with the city since nothing ever hits the ground (nothing perceptable anyhow)...

Important Rules:

1. Slow to a reasonable speed (70 kias or so)
2. Hold Urn at very rear of window
3. Do not open Urn until it is outside window hold beind window if possible.
4. Before opening Urn slip the plane using the rudder on the side of the dump (i.e. if you are dumping from right window, use right rudder)
5. Make sure plane is not wet (very important)
6. Take your watch off, my friend still has some guy griding around in the rotatable bezel of his watch

If you don't follow these instructions, you will have a nice grey cloud whirling around the cockpit... I'll let you figure out what the cloud is.... and it ain't pretty...

C172 Heavy

Falcon Capt gave you some great tips.

Additional considerations:

--No matter how much a passenger may want open the urn and disperse the ash themselves, don't let them! Believe me, they will probably screw up and then you will have ash floating around the cabin. Even a minor amount is enough to give you a nice gritty feel between your teeth. It's not pleasant.

--This may go without saying, but on a 172, you will need to prep the window before flight by disconnecting the little arm that holds the window slightly open. You want the window to be able to fold completely open so you can get the urn as far back and away from you as possible. Once fully open, the slipstream will hold it there. All you need for this is a Leatherman or the screwdriver on your fuel tester.

--Whos airplane will you be using for this? You WILL have a bit of a gray streak along the side of the aircraft. If you slip you may avoid most of it, but there's always a bit of residue left on the plane that will need to be cleaned off...

I have done these at the coast and over Mt. St. Helens. In my opinion, if you are doing it for the flight time, it's really not worth it.....

There was an article in Flying magazine a while back about this subject. You may see if you can find it. It might have been one of those "I learned about flying from" articles.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, the guy used a Cherokee and had some sort of funnel and hose thing set up. Might give you some ideas if you can find it.

Just make sure you don't do it over Seattle. Someone did it a few months back and it resulted in the evacuation of part of the city. I believe they are pressing charges against the pilot for the event also.

Buzo said:
Just make sure you don't do it over Seattle. Someone did it a few months back and it resulted in the evacuation of part of the city. I believe they are pressing charges against the pilot for the event also.

That's a good point, in this day and age that is something to be VERY concerned with....

Thanks for the replies,

Fortunately this will be over a very rural area in NW Oregon so I don't think they could organize an evacuation anyways! We are probably going to do a test drop with some flour or something to see what happens.

Fly safe.

I remember reading the article with the commance. They used some tubing and duct tape to "vacuum" the ashes out of the plane. Seemed to be a good solution for the commance and the "airhole" on the left side.

I would also try to put a line on the urn in case the wind pulls it out of your hand when you stick it out there. Wouldn't be good if you accidently drop it, then you are busting regs.

aero99 said:
I would also try to put a line on the urn in case the wind pulls it out of your hand when you stick it out there. Wouldn't be good if you accidently drop it, then you are busting regs.

Only if it WHHHAAAPPPPSSSS Farmer Fred in the head on the ground! If it bounces off a gopher hole then no regs busted. (unless of course there is some new dropping things reg since 9/11)

Latest resources

Back