• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spokane, WA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the posts. To rampfreeze, thanks for the info., that's what I am looking for. To AK737, I know exactly what we are getting into. I was a flight attendant for 8 years and have a little bit of a clue what commuting will be like. We haven't decided this is what we will do, we are just looking at options which is why I have asked for feedback. I appreciate your honesty but like spacecadet said, we have our reason's. It's a joint decision and my husband and I are making this decision together, so please don't make it sound like I am being selfish. What's wrong with wanting to live somewhere where it doesn't rain all the time? I know when it's sunny Seattle is beautiful.
So tell me....where in Seattle would you recommend that is within 1-2 hours from SEA-TAC? Where the schools are good and we can afford a nice house? I am willing to consider all options....

possible location

I would choose Bellingham, or any of the small communities surrounding it, maybe Ferndale? Its easy drive to YVR, where you can have wonderful big city events; has some snow in the winter;more sun; driving time to SEA is 2:30 - 2:45. Lower housing costs, small VERY LIBERAL state college and the attendant academic community to watch over local schools. It is possible to take a commuter train from Bellingham to downtown Seattle (Google "Sounder")

Good Luck,

Bellingham is nice, but I have heard it is getting expensive to live there. My wife & I used to live in Old Fairhaven. Lots of outdoor activities. Although, If you look around long enough you may find a good deal. Mount Vernon is probably still pretty cheap and not as long of a drive (1 1/2 hr drive). If you do the drive up you should look at taking Chuckanut drive between Mount Vernon & Bellingham. If it's a nice day its worth the extra driving time!

My two cents:

If you are already willing to move, why not just move to the city you are based in?

Why go to all the trouble to move and still have to commute? It really doesn't even make sense.

Personally, I commute. But that is a choice I made a long time ago. But, if I was hired by Alaska and based in Seattle, and I did choose to move because of it...I sure as heck wouldn't move to some city (Portland, Spokane, etc) where I STILL have to commute!

msmb said:
What's wrong with wanting to live somewhere where it doesn't rain all the time? I know when it's sunny Seattle is beautiful.

That's just it. It doesn't "rain all the time". Yes, it does rain a lot in the winter (just like it snows a lot and is cold a lot and it rains a lot in other places in the winter...and is brutally hot or brutally hot and humid in other places in the summer), but even then, there are magnificent days (like today). And the summers can't be beaten anywhere. I have lived just about everywhere, and this is easily in the top 3 places I have lived. I live here by choice, now, and have no plans to go anywhere else, ever. This city (and surrounding areas) offer tons of what I am interested in...and that is great outdoor activities of all types for all seasons, and a killer music scene (of all types).

Of course, you should do what YOU want to do and what will make YOU happy. I just think commuting (after having done it for most of my airline life) is just not worth the toll it takes on the individual and the family.

Kitsap penninsula. Reliable ferry to Seattle, 1:20 drive to employee parking if you have to drive around ,good schools, and off Bainbridge it is still very affordable.

Central Wa

Wenatchee is pretty nice too. Horizon has four flights a day to Seatac and the airport is installing an ILS to help when the weather comes down. The drive time to Seatac is about 2:30 and if the passes close, like I-90 did last week, you can get to Spokane in 2:45. Wenatchee is about 20 degrees hotter than Seattle in the summer and 20 degrees colder in the winter with a lot more sunshine. The cost of living is a ton cheaper than Seattle and less than Spokane too. The local ski hill, Mission Ridge- 15 miles away, just installed a high speed quad chairlift. The waterskiing is not too bad either.

Issaquah and Snoqualmie are good places to look. The inlaws live out in Snoqualmie. They are east of town on I-90 about 35mins. to airport. Still quiet out there too. Don't know the housing prices out there, I assume high just like everywhere in the west.

I have a cousin in Issaquah. I don't know what the market is like there but you could check out www.realtor.com or similar site to get a feel. Anyhow my cousin is very family oriented and I'm sure she and her husband checked out the schools before buying there. Although there's traffic it would definitely be commutable while on reserve.

Latest resources

Back