Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WSurf

The Smack Down!
The next hidden fee - Spirit Airlines to charge a fee for buying a ticket?

by Scott Carmichael Mar 3rd 2009 @ 9:30AM
spirit_air2-[gadling].png
Nope - this is not an April fools post. Spirit Airlines, one of the cheapest of the US low cost carriers is working behind the scenes to introduce a "passenger usage fee" which is just a snazzy way of describing a fee to cover the costs of you buying a ticket.

That's right - Spirit Airlines is going to charge you, in order to charge you. The fee is rumored to be $5 or $10, and will apply to any booking made anywhere other than the Spirit Airlines ticket desk at your airport.

The whole thing sounds like a joke gone bad, but it is actually the result of negotiations with the Department of Transportation.

Spirit had initially launched a whole lineup of ridiculous fees last year, including what they called a "natural occurrence interruption fee"; a $2.50 fee to help recover the costs involved with storms and other weather related incidents. The DOT was not amused, and Spirit was handed a $40,000 fine.

Spirit clearly learned their lesson, because this time they are negotiating with the DOT how to implement these new fees. One area of concern is whether Spirit will be forced to include the fee in all their advertising, or whether they can keep it hidden until the last moment, usually when you and I pull out our credit cards. The end result may be that they need to advertise it on their own site, but that third party booking sites won't be forced to mention it until the last page of your booking process.

In my opinion, the whole fee process is just becoming silly - yes, we consumers are always looking for nice cheap tickets, but we are not entirely stupid. When a $100 ticket becomes $200 after all the fees and taxes, we know we are not getting a good deal. Fingers crossed that the DOT keeps us in mind when they finally approve this new fee racket.

Really, really f-ing dumb...Ben Ballzinhisownmouth is the biggest dip ******************** around.

But, I may be mistaken, don't most (some) airlines charge a fee to buy tickets on the phone or at a ticket counter?

I don't see what the big deal is. Every time I buy a concert ticket, I have to pay a ridiculous convenience fee to ticket master.

I don't see what the big deal is. Every time I buy a concert ticket, I have to pay a ridiculous convenience fee to ticket master.

Is that the awful truth.

However I looked into three others, they all charge more than $5-10 to book a ticket using a call center or ticket counter. Not that I don't think it is completely asinine that anyone charges for buying a ticket.

[FONT=arial,geneva]United...
[/FONT]By making your United Airlines booking online without the assistance of a United Airlines representative, you avoid paying a $25 call center fee ...

USAirways...
Ticketing fee
US Airways adds a $25 fee ($35 international) for tickets purchased at Reservations and a $35 fee ($45 international) for tickets issued at airport and city ticket offices.

Delta...
The charge is:

Last edited:
Who cares. If you buy a ticket to Bogata, Colombia for 69 bucks... $4.50 more isn't a big deal. People go to movie theaters and pay $5.00 for a coke and $7.00 for some nachos without complaining.

Change fees differ from what I understand Spirit is trying to do.

They want to charge you a fee to buy the ticket INITIALLY. They are working with the DOT on when they would be required to disclose that to the customer during the booking process.

INITIAL TICKET PURCHASE NOT CHANGING A TICKET. I AM SURE THEY HAVE A FEE FOR THAT ALREADY.

Soon they will have pay lavs like Ryan is pushing for.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back