• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit furlough... 45...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just ask Delta about not picking up open time.

You mean the Delta union don't you? A union can't tell its membership to hurt the company by calling in sick or avoiding open time. However, anyone with a sense of loss for those on furlough will look into living within their means for the greater good.

Sad for all, but I don't know too many FAs with 80k in student loans to pay off.

At any rate best to all involved at Spirit.

Layoff's suck but they are a fact of this industry. So anyone that get's into this business with 80k in loans is a fool.

a bad bet was made by them and now is the time for the pay off.
Don't get me wrong. I do feel bad for those who get the layoff. But come on! what did you expect.
I have many friends who have left flying just because of this crappy cycle of hire till layoff then file BK. and extort more from employees.
Do me A favor. take your w2 totals from last year and divide by 2080. that would equal your hourly rate to a normal 9-5 job.

When I did that for the new hire rate at Compass it works out to be around 9.95 an hour, then in year 2 ( provided there is year 2 for some) it jumps to a whopping 18.00 and hour.

Now tel me why would one collect 80k in student loans again?

How do you refuse open time? That doesn't even make sense. Open time is unassigned flying and therefore is not mandatory for anyone to pick up, and will then be assigned to reserves. So what in the he** are you talking about it being a "job action" to refuse open time. How do you "refuse" optional flying? What a tool.........

I said systematically refusing open time is a job action.

Leaders and members of a union can't tell other members to not pick up open time. That is a job action.

People can make their own choice to not pick up open time. It just can't be promoted by union members.

The flying of ANY open time while even 1 pilot is still on furlough is akin to treason against your fellow pilots and should be punished accordingly.

Is bidding option 2 or 3 also treason?

This is not what I am advocating, but I am just trying to prove a point that many of you want more than the guaranteed 64 hours of credit but are simultaneously condemning people for picking up open time. I call that being a hypocrite.

This month I picket up 12 hours of open time. Should I do this when we have furloughs? The rest of the story is that I am getting 76 hours of credit (less than my line value) and I only have 59 hours of scheduled block time (originally line was 73+ block). NONE of my flying is at 150% and I didn't drop any trips with pay. I simply used our contractually provided bid options and open time.

What pisses me off is that some dumba$$ would put me on a blacklist while they are flying more hours than me. These are the same people who don't understand bid options and the benefits of open time.

Last edited:
Beetle,

You seem to be trying hard to convince yourself that picking up open time won't make you a dirtbag.

IT WILL.

Compare your minimum credit with the credit of the guy on the street and find a way to live on it. He's got to figure out how to live on a lot less. Every trip above the minimum you are required to do is a trip that he should be doing.

Being furloughed from a carrier with an ALPA contract beats anyplace on the seniority list at anyplace else. If there's a merger with JetBlue,or anybody else , and you have more than five years seniority you should be above anybody with a five year contract.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back