Spirit Bidding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beetle007

Has anyone figured out the difference between option 3A and 3B when bidding. What is the logic of picking one vs. the other?

Also, if your previous month and your new month have an overlap (on the same day), can you get paid twice. I know option 1 and 2 drop it without pay but can you "double dip" if you bid option 3B and/or 3A. I have heard different answers to this question.

For example:
If the August line have me fly sept 1st (8 hours block) and the September line has me fly on sept 1st (8 hours block) do I get paid 16 hours for one day? Or do I need to subtract 8 hours from the Sept line value do see how much the line is really worth?

Has anyone figured out the difference between option 3A and 3B when bidding. What is the logic of picking one vs. the other?

Also, if your previous month and your new month have an overlap (on the same day), can you get paid twice. I know option 1 and 2 drop it without pay but can you "double dip" if you bid option 3B and/or 3A. I have heard different answers to this question.

For example:
If the August line have me fly sept 1st (8 hours block) and the September line has me fly on sept 1st (8 hours block) do I get paid 16 hours for one day? Or do I need to subtract 8 hours from the Sept line value do see how much the line is really worth?

3A: say your Aug bid overlaps and your Sept bid
is legal but takes you below 13 days off, Sept days would be dropped to return you to 13 (min) and you would be pay protected.

3B: Conflict days are dropped the Co. may assign trips or reserve, only on days affected. Pay protected for line value.

If you have carry-over you would fly the previous months trip and be paid for it. New months trip would be dropped. The new month would be paid at line value in accordance with 3A or 3B as described above. You will not fly one trip and get paid for two. Line value is for calendar mo. only and does not include carry-over.

So bidding 3A guarantees that I will get my contractual 13 days off and 3B allows the company to give me less than 13 (For example: if I have carryover into days off or something). Is this correct?

What is the downside of bidding 3A instead of 3B? Obviously I want my guaranteed days off, but is there something I am missing?

Beetle,

This is the way I understand it after about 4 years here.

3A pay protects you for the new month drop and they will assign you trips to make up the time (e.g. maybe on your days off) to bring you up to your dropped time not to take you below your min days off) So if you had a line that had let's say 16 days off, you may loose three of those days to cover your dropped trip...so you get your 13 days off.

3B will only fly you on your days of the original trip. So if your Aug. trip flies you to say the 2nd of Sept. and your Sept trip is 2-6, you may have a trip on the 3rd and or through the 6th of Sept. OR they may give you Reserve on those days but you won't be assigned a flight on your days off. If you are after specific days off, then bid Option 1 or 2.

Option 1 gives you no pay protection but you get your specific days off. If you want to pick up more time (you obviously get your carry over always paid at 100%). You can pick up open time via your senority.

Option 2 drops your new month conflicting trip and gives you "super senority" to pick up open time in the new month plus 150% on whatever is over your carry over.

So Option 2: you have a trip in August that takes you to the 2nd of Sept. and your carry over is 8 hours. You drop your Sept. trip of let's say 10 hours. You pick up (with "super senority") a trip for the next month in open time worth 20 hours. You minus your first 8 from carryover. You get the remainder of 12 at 150%. So you get 16 hours + 8 (carryover) for a total of 24 hours. And you can pick what days you want to work...as long as the open time permits.

You can never double dip. I know, I thought that initially too.

Hope that helps.

If you have more questions PM me.

Last edited:
Crew planning was recently caught arbitrarily assigning Option 3B to pilots who had bid for other options. If this happened to you or anyone you know, please contact your ALPA rep.

Latest resources

Back