Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

humveedriver

M1165A1
I remember Spirit when they were flying MD-80s held together with model glue. About 2 or 3 paint liveries later they are starting to nudge into some battlefield territory. Spirit recently added DEN to ORD, DFW, LAS and FLL. They are also increasing their presence in DFW with flights to LGA, MCO, BOS, PHX and ATL. They have the lowest CASM flying A320s in the US and recently ordered 75 new aircraft. Should be interesting to see the response from AA, SWA and UAL in that order.

Spirit is the new Southwest, in terms of low cost carrier. SWA has moved up the ladder to just below the legacy status, which created some room at the bottom for the Spirit and Allegiant type carriers. They will continue to grow for sure

The DFW move is impressive. AA was quick to dispatch Legend an AirTran from Love and DFW respectively. Specifically AT's LAX and LAS service. I think a bankrupt AA will offer free flights on the competitive routes until Spirit backs off. We shall see.

Spirit totally screwed the pooch with their ham-fisted response to the vet who asked for a refund because he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. This is the worst publicity an airline has ever received. I'd guess the $197.00 they refused to refund will end up costing them tens of millions. And, I'd guess the CEO ought'a be looking over his shoulder.

Yup they're the new model. We hate our customers. We hate our employees. We feed you salty pretzels free and charge you $3 for a glass of water. We charge you $100 to book your "free" reward ticket, and we believe there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I can't say its not working. I don't think they're the next Southwest, though. It's a niche product, there's a large percentage of the flying population that simply won't put up with that kind of abusive behavior.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you gotta love their Secret Service campaign for Colombia... "MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK", love it!!!

All I can say is the Spirit Airlines is a PAY TOILET airline
The seats do not have enough leg room for a 2 year old
They charge you for everything – like I said coming soon is PAY TOILET or bring you toilet paper And yes their call center must be in India. Some of the hardest people to understand and they are totally useless!!!

Latest resources

Back