Spinning and 172s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Katana

The katana I flew actually was a early one with the rotax, It was certified for spins then revoked. It was a blast to spin, better than a citabria. I agree with everyone that teaches student pilots spin recovery. I had lots of PPl endorsments, no one has ever bent an airplane, because they know how to fly it, not what the book says. The katana was a CFI candidate, little to snappy for students.

FNB said:
The katana I flew actually was a early one with the rotax, It was certified for spins then revoked. It was a blast to spin, better than a citabria. I agree with everyone that teaches student pilots spin recovery. I had lots of PPl endorsments, no one has ever bent an airplane, because they know how to fly it, not what the book says. The katana was a CFI candidate, little to snappy for students.

I did my CFI spin training in a Katana as well; however, it was the newer Eclipse model with the Continental engine. You're definitely correct about the how fast it spins! It can spin faster or at least as fast as a Pitts. They're a blast! Slippery little suckers... The DA20-C1's are still certified for spins. Why did the older ones get revoked?

g

Last edited:
katana

not for sure, I was told if you did a power off spin the tail had a tendency to drop and get into a mild flat spin. You would lose elevator evectivness, which I would agree with, but even just a little power and it always came out fine, but power off it tended to porpoise.

hmmm... i could see that happening... The Katana's have the narrowest CG range I've seen on an aircraft. Doesn't take much to throw it out of range and screw up the stall characteristics.

g

How about full stalls/spins in a Mooney? (just a little bait)

Latest resources

Back