Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spin-off from forced landings...closest calls.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BD King said:
Near miss. How close? My student was under the hood and asked what that noise was. T'was a Baron.

It's not a true NMAC unless you can hear the other airplane!

Wound up face to face with an Ag-Cat one time just after clearing the departure end of a grass strip. He came out from behind a treeline, and luckily, we both broke right. Passed belly to belly- probably 50-75 feet. His R-985 was louder than my own engines! :eek:

As a student going solo for the, oh 4-5th time, I did a full flap touch-n-go in a C152. You could only imagine what happens when you forget to raise the flaps on the "go portion"! I'm surprised I didn't scrape the tail when it got airborne and I didn't pancake it on when I realized at @40', with the stall horn blaring, that the flaps were full down.

That gets me to my second mistake: immediately raising the flaps full UP! I lost @ 39' during the recovery, should have simply landed but no I had to take it around the pattern to prove I'm not an idiot.......

No wonder flight school insurance is soo expensive, thanks to students like me.

Last edited:
the school i went to (<---- i can say that now) wont let students do T&G's solo, probably for that reason.

on a related story

a kid was doing one of the night solo patterns and managed to flip a 52 on its back somehow. heres how it went down.....

absolutely no flare....hit on the nose so bad that rumor has it the bottom of the cowl hit the rnway.....tried to go around but to no avail stalled it and it wound up on its back....kid's ok though

went to go look at the plane the next day heres how bad it is....

the prop is bent not like a normal prop strike but about half way bent in. spun the prop freely, driveshaft is broken.

so now it just sits there on the side of the hangar with the other plane that the other "contract" student broke, probably going to be scrapped. all they got was a slap on the wrist. a domestic girl a while ago tore off the nose gear on a solo, came back ok and did the best soft-field landing and she was grounded for a few months. go figuer:rolleyes:

sandman2122 said:
As a student going solo for the, oh 4-5th time, I did a full flap touch-n-go in a C152. You could only imagine what happens when you forget to raise the flaps on the "go portion"! I'm surprised I didn't scrape the tail when it got airborne and I didn't pancake it on when I realized at @40', with the stall horn blaring, that the flaps were full down.

That gets me to my second mistake: immediately raising the flaps full UP! I lost @ 39' during the recovery, should have simply landed but no I had to take it around the pattern to prove I'm not an idiot.......

No wonder flight school insurance is soo expensive, thanks to students like me.

Dang.. i did the same thing on a freakin small airport i've never been to before. Scared the shat out of me! Was just after i got the PPL, but without instructor.

the school i went to (<---- i can say that now) wont let students do T&G's solo, probably for that reason.

You done with Spartan? Since when? Btw, you could do t&g's.. you just had to have your PPL and the instructors OK.

Last edited:
Total electrical failure while in IMC at night with high terrain nearby. Flew away from terrain then descended into known VFR cond then got back lost com. Interesting flight.

You know you are truly jaded when the student under the hood sees the wingtip of the other plane in their side vision, looks up, and in answer to his "WHA? *#*%!!", you ask if he thinks the other pilot's rolex is 5 minutes fast, too.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

I was taking a friend flying from ILG to Bader Field in Atlantic City to get a good look at the strip in a 172SP. I'll admit I wasn't completely familiar with the airport, had no idea what the winds were, and was just coming in to land. So we're on final, I'm definitely going to be long, but I think I can still squeek it in on the runway. Winds were throwing me all over the place, and I bounced the wheels once, realized I wasn't going to be able to stop, and about pushed the throttle through the firewall. I had full flaps in, and was climbing out at about 45 knots. I made a very shallow turn and retracted the flaps very slowly to make sure I wasn't going to lose any lift. Needless to say, I scared the crap out of my buddy, and myself, and it was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in aviation (not being familiar with the airport). That same week, another plane ended up in the bay off the same runway, killing the pilot.

Latest resources

Back