Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spin-off from forced landings...closest calls.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got em.....

I have had way too many but I guess I'm still here so that's a good thing.

Two engine shutdowns (not failures)
- loss of oil pressure/leak on cowling so I stopped it before it started making metal. Push-rod seal folded on #5
-seized throttle, part of magneto cooling tube came off and jammed my throttle full open. routine shutdown, secure and landing
Three main hydraulic system failures - had brakes and steering
-on second one, I lost enough altitude to put me in the clouds below, with ice.
Two near-misses and numerous encounters with ''short yellow' planes around LA
-IFR student under hood spotted plane in haze, directly infront of us at our altitude
-Student in pattern turned final and asked me- 'what's this clown doing?' I couldn't see it - blindspot - so we dived the airplane after seeing student turn insta-green. Same airplane cost Jet Blue an ILS approach and missed - RA. Student didn't fly again.
-struck by lightning - blew the beacon off

Just because your in Class D doesn't mean pilots won't mess up - violate airspace, remember transponder mode C, get into wrong pattern, fly at wrong altitude, fly at wrong airport, follow wrong landmark etc. some multi-taskers can do this all at the same time.

Anyone who instructed out of the L.A. basin knows what JediNein is refering to. It's not a near miss until you can tell what brand of sunglasses the other guy is wearing.

Cold cat shot, USS Midway, at night. Heavy F-4S (centerline, 2 Aim-7, 2 Aim-9). RIO keyed UHF and ICS foot switches at the same time...so we didn't hear Air Boss yelling, "Off the Cat, Eject! Off the Cat, Eject!"

Instead all I heard was, "Did that feel right to you? Aren't we a little slow?" in an urgent, yet conversational tone.

I punched the jettison button and cleaned-off the tank and missiles.

No idea how close we came to the Sea of Japan, but the video shows our lights dropping out of view below the bow. Thanks to the audio tape, "Did that feel right to you?" became the running gag line in the squadron for the rest of the cruise.

Latest resources

Back