Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cbrown1

Speeding Tickets

I'm just curious on how speeding tickets are seen by airlines. Do they show up on the national driver license register thing they make you sign? How long to tickets stay on your record. If you do the driving school do they get taken off?

Last edited:
cbrown1 said:
I'm just curious on how speeding tickets are seen by airlines. Do they show up on the national driver license register thing they make you sign? How long to tickets stay on your record. If you do the driving school do they get taken off?

When you get a ticket, its tracked by your DL's #. I.e. no matter what state you've gotten it in, it'll show up on your state record (atleast in NH). Doing driving school doesn't take the ticket off your record, it's still there, the points just aren't assessed (and I even got an insurance DISCOUNT for taking the course after getting a ticket!!).

I haven't seen my national driving record yet, I have no idea whats on there. But the places I've submitted applications to want a driving record of each state I've held a license in.

~wheelsup

I think tickets stay on your record for 3 years from the offense..

I got a ticket last month on my new motorcycle and I was concerned about the NDR as well. I asked our HR person and she said that the NDR the airlines send in only shows suspensions, revocations, and serious infractions such as a DWI. She said a simple ticket would not show up on a NDR and could only be found if the airline does a state driving history check in the state your licensed. You can request a copy of your driving record from your state DMV for usually no more than $10.

By all means, DON'T lie on your application about something as minor as a speeding ticket. If they find out, you’re screwed. One or two tickets in the past 5 years will not hurt you. I've had two in the past 8 years. Unfortunately they were both in the past year.

rk772 said:
I She said a simple ticket would not show up on a NDR and could only be found if the airline does a state driving history check in the state your licensed. You can request a copy of your driving record from your state DMV for usually no more than $10.

Just to clarify, does this mean if I get ticketed out of state for speeding it won't show up on either my NDR or my state record?

(I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a ten hour drive in front of me in a couple of weeks and only about 1.5 of it are in the state where I'm licenced...)

groundpointsix said:
Just to clarify, does this mean if I get ticketed out of state for speeding it won't show up on either my NDR or my state record?

(I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a ten hour drive in front of me in a couple of weeks and only about 1.5 of it are in the state where I'm licenced...)

It shouldn't snow up on your NDR unless it is an excessive speed. By this I mean a speed that they would probably arrest you for. I'm not sure about the state record though. I live in PA and got my ticket in Arkansas. I still haven't checked my PA record to see if it showed up or not.

I checked my record this past year (in Florida) and It only showed that I had 1 Ticket even though I had another but took the driving school to get it off my record. Are there 2 spereate types of records? Because when I requested it from the DMV all that showed up was that one I got in 2002 that I had to pay since I wasn't able to do the school.

Yeah, the NDR doesn't show minor offenses and violations, just the more serious stuff as was mentioned previously.

As far as the state records go, it is specific to the state in which you are licensed in in most cases. Many states have reciprocity with others, usually bordering states. NH and VT is an example, and I believe MA and NH also have this. Some states, NY for example do not share information with others. NY is unusual however in the they share license data and infractions with Quebec and Ontario Canada. Apparently there were issues with drivers from there not caring if they got tickets in NY because they didn't effect them and couldn't be penalized. The same I'm sure was the case with NY drivers in these provinces.

Some DMV (or RMV) websites actually answer this question or you can call and ask too to see what your state's policies are.

The answer as always is it depends. A lot of times if you go into court and do the plea bargain thing where it doesnt show up on your driving record the court generally will not send the ticket information to the DMV. Basically they have record of your ticket and that you paid the fine/took a plea or whatever at the courthouse. The DMV/insurance companies have no idea that it happened. Its the court that reports the offenses to the DMV which keeps them on your driving record for X number of years. The tricky part is it varies from state to state. The best way to find out is to goto the DMV and get your court records. Some background companies will request your court records as well. Some states will furnish not only serious misdemeanors and felonies but also any type of court record you have such as a traffic ticket. Just list your tickets the best you can. In the past if your DMV record and NDR was clear then you would probably be ok. Nowadays the background checks go a bit deeper and a lot more can be dug up.

Mine were gone after 3 years

Latest resources

Back