Speeding tickets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aeronca

I just got a ticket on my way to work today, 49 in a 35. This is the first one in 10 years. How bad is this going to hurt me in the future if I try to get hired by a regional.

Thanks for your replies.

I wish my record only had one ticket...

I wouldn't worry about it. One ticket in ten years does not show a pattern of irresponsible driving. In fact, another member here showed up for an interview with a perfect driving record and the interviewers didn't believe him. I also know another guy who had about 5 tickets and 3 accidents in the last four years. He was able to spin it correctly at the interview, and he got hired. So, don't worry about it.

Doesn't your state have a defensive driving school that you can take that keeps it off your record? If not, and you don't mind spending a little cash, a lawyer can make it go away for you.

Wiggums definitely correct. One speeding ticket is not going to keep you from getting hired. In fact, its affect on your competitiveness is probably negligible. I think it is important to add, however, that you very well may be asked about it on an interview, but as long as you answer the questions correctly, (You did it accidentally, but accept full responsibility for your violation of the law.) You'll be fine.

I'd go to traffic court to try to fight the ticket if possible. I know many people who got tickets and the cop never showed up in court so the judge dropped the ticket.

Also sometimes errors develop in the speedometer of cars. I just found out mine was way out of calibration and I'm going to get it fixed. I recently got a ticket and I was baffled as to why I'd even gotten it. I found out why and you can bet I'll be bringing in to traffic court the paperwork from the car dealership showing that there was an error on my speedometer causing me to inadvertently go faster than I'd thought I was going. Worth a try.

good luck!

kilomike

If you do try to fight it in court, call and ask to change the court date from what the officer told you. Most officers try to get all of their cases for the week scheduled on one day one right after the other. If you change that, you have a better chance of him not showing up. Also, if he does show up, ask to see the calibration records for his radar gun. He won't have them and the case will be rescheduled, giving him another opportunity to not show up.

Don't worry about a speeding ticket. I got a speeding ticket about a month and half before my Delta interview. They asked about it and I told them truth. I still got hired so I guess if don't get to many and tell the truth you will be all right.

So if you got a ticket and the Judge dropped it do you admit to it or tell them you have never had a ticket?

Others will say different, but I say if it's not on your driving record or your NDR, it never happened.

I somewhat agree with Wiggums. I wouldn't volunteer the info. If it's not on your record, why would they be asking about it anyway? If somehow they found out or asked you straight up, I wouldn't lie about it. I would admit to receiving the citation and be truthful about the court's decision. One speeding ticket will hardly affect your candidacy at all, but getting caught lying about it will screw you hard. Is it worth it?

Speeding ticket

I'll second all the responses. Maybe meet with a lawyer and get his/her opinion. Maybe you can plead down to something less than 14 over the limit. See if driving school can make it go away completely. Do check on your speedo's calibration because that would be a good defense. The radar gun calibration is a good idea, but sometimes judges don't like that because you might come across as being a smartass. That's something to discuss with a lawyer.

Most importantly, I think, is to get your driving record a few months after the thing is adjudicated and see if the event shows up on paper. Once again, you need to run a background check on yourself so you know what "goods" the recruiters have on you. It helps to level the playing field. You should do that anyway when interviews may be imminent.

As a practical matter, though, one speeding ticket in ten years is pretty minor. Just prepare your spiel about how you learned from it, etc. and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back