• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
have a question concerning FAR 135.203

It states "Except when necessary for takeoff and landing, no person may operate under VFR - during the day, below 500 feet above the surface or less than 500 feet horizontally from any obstacle"

Hypothetical scenario:

The current wx is reporting 10SM but a ceiling of 300 feet. You know that it is "clear and a million" just 3 miles from the airport.
You request a SVFR clearance and takeoff. Logic would state that you would enter the clouds within seconds after takeoff. BUT.....Under the regulations it doesn't specify what climb rate you have to use to reach your cruise altitude. Therefore you could set up for a 50fpm climb rate and reach the severe clear before reaching 300 feet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks

ah..you again

OK, we're in Alaska first off. I spent months there flying around SVFR. Here's how I interpret your "hypothetical scenario". The CP asked you to blow out SVFR with 300 OVC and you like your pilots license in your wallet not the trash. All you have to do is make it to water and it's clear and a million. Right? Have I done this in Juneau? Every $hitty day. Would I do it here in the duller 48? Um.......NO! Back to your situation. You have a job to do, but this is also a CYA situation. This is what I did. A SVFR clearance says 1 mile clear of clouds. Nothing about ceiling. As long as you maintain that clearance your good. This means you must stay within the airports controlled airspace. If you exit the airspace or cancel your SVFR before reaching VFR conditions then technically your in violation. But is there anybody 2 miles outside of Homer trying to nail you? Is the local FSDO going to bust you and every other operator for going 1 mile with less than VFR mins? Doubtful. I learned alot in AK. Here's two of them. 1.If you're uncomfortable or don't like the situation, don't go. 2.If you're doing something that everybody else isn't, look out.

Last edited:
Sec. 135.203 - VFR: Minimum altitudes.

Except when necessary for takeoff and landing, no person may operate under VFR --

(a) An airplane --

(1) During the day, below 500 feet above the surface or less than 500 feet horizontally from any obstacle; or

(2) At night, at an altitude less than 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown or, in designated mountainous terrain, less than 2,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 5 miles from the course intended to be flown; or

(b) A helicopter over a congested area at an altitude less than 300 feet above the surface.

I think your answer is at the begining of the far...within 3 miles of the airport IS taking off and landing. Hit a tower, or a house, or cow on top of a cotton house or any obstacles in your path, then you didn't maintain 500 feet from them.

You have to land and takeoff though, and it is inevetable that you will have to fly within 500 feet of the surface sooner or later...even some obstacles.

moving2vegas....you remember days like this? (Sure ya do!)

TAF PAHO 031132Z 031212 06006KT 5SM -SHSN BR OVC030 TEMPO 1215 2SM
-SHSN BKN012
FM1500 07010KT 6SM -RA SCT020 OVC040 TEMPO 1519 3SM
-SHRASN BKN020
FM1900 08008KT P6SM VCSH FEW020 BKN050

But doesn't the FAR's also say that you must be at least 500 ft above any person place or thing? Or that at a safe altitude so that in the event of an engine failire, a safe landing could be attemped? Sorry about the wording, but thats how i remember it.

If you are going to fly at 50fpm and YOU KNOW that in 3 miles its clear you are legal..But I sure would not want to fly for 3 miles away from an airport at 50 fpm....File IFR then cancel..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back