Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Special Issuance - Myself or Pay Service??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eefeefI

I have been diagnosed with a condition that I have to tell the FAA about. I know for a fact that people that have this are getting 1st class medicals. I also know that the meds I am taking are approved and the amounts are approved. My condition is not a mandatory disqualifier.

My medical expires on Jan 31 05. I am going to start the telling the FAA this month.

It seems like I have two options. I can use my AME to submit my paper work for a special issuance. Or, I can use a pay service to pay for my special issuance. Then, when I have my special issuance in hand I go to the AME come January and get my new medical.

The pay service I am looking at is this. www.aviationmedicine.com I think this service would set me back 500-1000. The money is not the problem.

I am not thrilled about the prospect of paying for this service. However, if I pay for it. It will be done right and no chance of any hiccups which could leave me grounded. I am currently flying PIC for a 135 operation.

I know I can take care of this my self. However, it requires me to take time off work and jumpseat to my AME. So, it seems like the pay service might be the best route.

My biggest concern is that this is new to me. Generally, when you do new things you make mistakes. I have over 30 years of professional flying ahead of me and I don't want to put that in jeopardy because I am trying to save $1000 that won't mean anything in 10 years.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks!

I had a similar situation happen to me. I debated paying the big bucks for the medical services, but thought it would be a waste. I ended up talking to my AME for assistance, and he suggested trying to send the paperwork via the regional flight surgeon's office instead of going through OKC. That ended up working out real well... I got a special issuance approval in about a week, rather than the 3+ months OKC would take. From what I understand all renewals for the medical must go through OKC, so I guess I'll just send my paperwork in 3 months early. Keep in mind though that once you discuss your situation with your AME you're pretty much committed... so I'd make sure you have all your tests/labs/whatnot normal before going that route.

I have no idea about the pay services, really. The hardest part for me was simply where to begin... what lab results the FAA required and so forth. I was not an ALPA member at the time so I couldn't use their services. I called AOPA and they were pretty much worthless. They did give me some pretty good information about prescription medicines, but their advice about how to proceed was laughable at best (they sent me information on what was required for a 3rd class renewal... not anything about an initial 1st class issuance which I cared about), but I guess it would be fine for their target demographic. Luckily I have a very good AME who helped me get back in the cockpit as soon as possible.

Thank you for your experience. I envy your position because you have an AME you can call your own. I do not have that. I am going to this AME because of a recommendation. Which makes me lean more towards the pay service.

I have been doing the special issuance thing since '99, never used a pay service. I went through OKC initially and had to wait seven months, but now I barely wait more than 2 weeks. I send my info to them and call them to make sure they have it, and wait a week and call them to check on the progress. I have called for questions also, I figure they are the ones who are going to approve or disaprove me, si I suppose I should go to the source.

Good Luck

Wow, seven months. Did that result in a grounding for the time?

Was that seven months spent sending paperwork back and forth?

Yep.....no flying, but that was back in '98. From what I have seen now it would not be as long. It wasnt sending paperwork back and forth it was just waiting, until I called them. It was fairly early in my carrer so it wasnt a huge impact, but it did suck. What is your condition....PM if you like.

Good luck

he suggested trying to send the paperwork via the regional flight surgeon's office instead of going through OKC. That ended up working out real well... I got a special issuance approval in about a week, rather than the 3+ months OKC would take
I had a similar experience with the regional surgeon in ATL, Dr. Millett. It is my understanding that OKC is pushing for AMEs to send med paperwork thru their regional Aeromed, as opposed to OKC all the time, and since the regionals are not as swamped as OKC, things tend to move quicker.

Also, you should know that you can now call your regional Aeromed office, as well as OKC, to check status of medicals and help move things along, if needed. It's not like it used to be ... remember when you had to write for everything, or you'd call and rarely get anything accomplished even if the planets were aligned and you actially got to speak with a human being? I was actually able to speak directly to the Southern Regional Surgeon ... the HMFIC ... about my issue with one phone call. I must say, that's pretty cool. :)

With the increased access to aeromedical personnel, increasing use of faxed info, and the more streamlined processes at the FAA, I'm not sure those pay services are warranted except for the most complicated cases.

Minh

Latest resources

Back