• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Special Issuance Letter Required to be carried w med certificate out of CONUS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a special issuance. One would think if there is a change, we would be informed. I have had mine for two years, this is the first I have heard of this. I go in Jan, I guess I will ask.

I would carry it. It never hurts.

IMHO, you can tell if someone is under a SI if you look at the medical. As a previous poster states, it has a dead date on it. It is a deal give away. Better to be safe than sorry.

from ALPA

Attention SIA Letter Holders—New Requirement Following an ICAO audit of FAA practices as part of the harmonization efforts among the world aviation authorities, the FAA amended 14 CFR 67.401 (Special Issuance of Medical Certificates) in July 2008. Paragraph (j) now states that for a pilot who holds a special issuance authorization (SIA) letter, that letter “must be in that person’s physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.” What does this mean to the thousands of pilots currently holding special issuances? The rule was implemented primarily to comply with ICAO standards. Pilots flying outside the United States may see stricter enforcement of the regulation by non-U.S. aviation officials. Pilots flying in the United States may be asked to produce their SIA letter (in addition to their current medical certificate and any Statement of Demonstrated Ability they hold) for an inspector, although this procedure historically has not been required.
Although FAA medical certificates do not include any diagnoses, the SIA letter lists in the first paragraph the specific diagnoses for which the airman does not meet certification standards, consequently raising privacy concerns. Although the policy was implemented by Flight Standards, the FAA Office of Aerospace Medicine shares these privacy concerns regarding this policy.

and here is paragraph J of the FAA regs, part 67 (which is what medical certificates are issued under)§ 67.401 Special issuance of medical certificates.

(I left out paragraph a-i, you can get it at http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...iv8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5.5.1.1&idno=14

(j) An Authorization or SODA granted under the provisions of this section to a person who does not meet the applicable provisions of subparts B, C, or D of this part must be in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

Docket No. 27940, 61 FR 11256, Mar. 19, 1996, as amended by Amdt. 67–20, 73 FR 43066, July 24, 2008]

Latest resources

Back