Special Aviation Systems, Inc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bobs98tlr said:
Please tell me the GOOD, bad and the ugly.....Any info would be good.

As you probably know they have 4 or 5 E-110 Bandits. They run them on adhoc cargo. Thus, you will be on the beeper and more than likely will have to live close enough to be airborne within 30-45 minutes from the phone call. They do a lot of flying on weekends, so expect that you won't beable to make plans for a weekend get away, unless it is to Willow Run or Detroit City (DET). From a general appearance stand point, their aircraft seem to be well maintained.

The really bad and ugly is the fact that they are in the adhoc business. This year is pretty slow compared to last year. I imagine all their pilots are looking for flight time.

The good, Ruhe purchased Air Cargo Express's Lears a couple years ago. As far as I know they are still sitting at Ruhe field. Perhaps they will get them going soon and some jet time could be had.

Thanks for the info. I chatted with some of there pilots before i just wasnt sure about the company itself. They seem to hire low time guys so they stay with them for awhile. Im normally pretty good with this stuff but what is Adhoc? Ill try a search on them and see what info i can pull up about the lears...that would be good news.

As far as the Lears go, I heard Bob Ruhe feels he was rooked in the deal. 2 of them sat in Mercury's hangar @ FWA for a couple of years, until Corporate Wings acquired Mercury and made them move them out (on flatbeds, from what I heard). They all need new engines, and none of them are RVSMed. One Lear was still flying on Air Cargo Express' certificate (which he bought) a couple of years ago; I don't know what the current status is. The guy who was it's Captain was killed in a car accident on the way to the airport in late '04, and he was my last contact with that operation. He had just been named Chief Pilot of the Lear operation, and said they planned to get the other Lears airworthy.

The main operation is cropdusting of Ohio farm fields, and the operation and facilities were pretty nice from the 2 or 3 times I was up there. The pilots seemed content, and said maintenance wasn't skimped on. It's definitely Green Acres territory up there, though.

Ad Hoc refers to On-Demand Freight, i.e. mostly auto parts, 24/7 (2 a.m. as often as 2 p.m.), no life, hooked to a paiger etc. etc. It's an excellent way to build time and acquire experience if you're single. For married guys with family, however, beware of succumbing to AIDS (Aviation-Induced Divorce Syndrome). Sometimes a super pain-in-the-a$$, often quite fun without the pressures and demands from home life.

I am flying there now. This is a great place to start out with low time and build your time. I was hired with 250 TT and 20 ME. You build it quickly here, I've been here just under a month and flown 80 hours.
We have to live within approx 15 minutes of the airport (R47), but for the FO's there is a crew house that is owned by the company, where we can stay free of rent. We all just split the utility bills.

If anyone has any other questions PM me and I'll answer what I can and direct you to those who can answer them.

As for the lears that were bought from Air Cargo, they are sitting in a hangar waiting on engine overhauls, and many other inspections. We're all hoping to get a shot in them.. hopefully much sooner than later.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back