• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spartan College?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also went to Spartan from '95 thru '97 and had a good experience. I only wish that I could have gone the part 61 route. I will be paying on student loans for the rest of my life because of it. But, I had a good experience there as well. I did what was asked of me and never had any problems. I pretty much had the same instructor there the whole time. Although, I did have my Private when I went in. I very much enjoyed the city there. I would love to get a good job back in Tulsa. I moved from Tulsa to Idaho and have been here ever since I graduated. I have heard bad stories coming from people that were in the school after I graduated but like I said.....I personally had an enjoyable experience. Just my 2 cents

Southeastern Oklahoma State University

If you look at the fact SOSU not SEOSU B.S degree is fully accrediated. Their are 3 different levels of accrediation. Spartan is at level one, while SOSU is at level 3. SOSU has its own airport, his its own Mech, has its own planes. Has a great alumni and is the oldest aviation porgram in Oklahoma. Plus SOSU was rated as the number one regional university in Oklahoma. All the professor that left OSU arrived at SOSU. the head of the aviation program at SOSU is a former OSU professor.

For the PRICE SOSU is the way to go. Its a good place to study, has great teachers and you will become a better pilot coming out of SOSU.

Spartan is also a wonderful instituation but its not at the same level as a university such as southeastern.

Its all up to individual taste. Wish the best to everyone

FracCapt said:
I went to Spartan 12 years ago, and back then it was a good school. I've heard some interesting stories when I happen to be in TUL(damm near every employee at every FBO there is a Spartan student). Students wearing uniforms? Screw that...when I was there, the only thing we weren't allowed(though, it was not enforced well) to wear was open toed shoes. I did most of my flying in jeans or shorts and t-shirts, occasionally with sandals.

Back then, the majority of the builders were of the "permanent-portable" variety, and I hear they're still pretty much the same. Kinda makes me wonder.

If you plan to get the degree at the same time as your training, I suggest forgetting the aviation schools(like Spartan and Embry-Riddle) and going to a University with a flight program. After spending a little bit of time in the town, I suggest Auburn University. It's something like a 3 or 4 to 1 female to male ratio, and almost every one of them is a hottie! :D Good football, too.

Hey, I was there from '93 to '95, maybe we know each other?

Send me a PM if those years jibe with yours...

Thanks!

Greg

Peace said:
If you look at the fact SOSU not SEOSU B.S degree is fully accrediated. Their are 3 different levels of accrediation. Spartan is at level one, while SOSU is at level 3. SOSU has its own airport, his its own Mech, has its own planes. Has a great alumni and is the oldest aviation porgram in Oklahoma. Plus SOSU was rated as the number one regional university in Oklahoma. All the professor that left OSU arrived at SOSU. the head of the aviation program at SOSU is a former OSU professor.

For the PRICE SOSU is the way to go. Its a good place to study, has great teachers and you will become a better pilot coming out of SOSU.

Spartan is also a wonderful instituation but its not at the same level as a university such as southeastern.

Its all up to individual taste. Wish the best to everyone

went there, taught there, had a great time and wish I could be back in durant....at least for a visit.

gkrangers said:
Embry Riddle is better than all of them.

*runs* :D
You're right dude, you're the best! Now go do your first solo!! DORK

Last edited:
I went to spartan from 96-99. Overall flight training was good. What I didn't like was when management got involved. It dragged everything down. All upper management cared about was getting your money. Boy did they let you know when your money was low.

I do wish I went to a more traditional school. But I was young, stupid, & poor.

I would just like to make a comment about someone stating that ERAU is the best. I agree that ERAU is a very fine instituation BUT overall, it is too too expensive and its not worth it. Plus the enviroment there at Daytona Beach, its hard to study and be focus on your education. Many ERAU aviation students drop out the second year. They only have a 50% rate of graduates who initially start off as freshman. Mainly becasue the students party too much, dont focus,and some non aviation courses are to difficult for them to grasp.

ERAU aviation student are not that better off when they graduate. THey fly 172 which SOSU also does. ERAU does not have its own airport. They have to share the international Airport at Daytona, its a class C airspace. Its good but as a student its better to have a environment where you can make some mistakes and learn from it. SOSU in durant has a wonderful airport, it is going to have its own ILS and you can do A VOR approach or NDB approaches as much times as you want. You try to do that in DAB airport, the ATC will say they dont have time for you to do approaches or touch and goes.

I have also noticed that many ERAU graduates think they are kings and show off like they have to prove something. But when you fly with them they cannot be able to maintain there altitute by 200ft or their heading by 5 degree. they are not able to do a basic VOR, OR NBD hold. When they do a ILS approach, they cant keep a basic 3 degree glide slope or even try to keep the localizer straight. Trust me, i have many friends who attended riddle and they admit that they where fed with a golden spoon. SOSU makes you think outside the box.

Please dont get me wrong, ERAU is a great school, but the cost, and the quality and one one experience with the instrctor lacks intensively.

NOw you look at any SOSU grad. They know their stuff. They know how to fly a plane and keep the dirty side up and keep the plane straight and level. SOSU grad can fly in marginal of hard IFR and can do a good ILS, NDB, VOR approach. SOSU grad when faced with a difficult situation they can handle it. they are calm and can find soultions and be calm and relax and never panic.

The reason why I state all this is for people to have a broader understanding that ERAU is not what is really seems to be. Trust be i went there once.

I Went to Spartan, decent training and I've never needed a degree and all my friends at Netjets that went there didnt either. But like all big schools it is pretty pricey. Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back