Spartan College?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyers9163

I've been looking into training and where to go to become a pilot and recently heard about Spartan College? Anyone know anything about this college as far as the education and what their graduates do for jobs and who they work for? Any information would be great. Thank you

I'm a Spartan grad. It was a great place for me because of the location. I grew up in North Texas so it was only about a 3 hr drive from where I grew up. I had a good experience there, was able to instruct there after I graduated (not a guarantee). They let you fly from day 1. Prices are kind of outrageous but my loans are paid off. Not too bad a gig. Students have to wear uniforms now which I think is kind of lame-o but other than that, I was satisfied. I didn't know much about the diff between Part 61 vs. 141. so if you have the chance to get a degree in something other than aviation, by all means do it. Part 61 will save you a bundle of cash in the long run. Hope this helps a bit.

Rook

The STUDENTS have to wear uniforms??? Yeesh.

Rook where you from? I grew up in Keller.

I went to spartan for awhile and didnt have a good experiance at all. You will hear good and bad about Spartan. Just listen to what people have to say and make your own decision. I thought it was to expensive and the format was set up to herd cattle. Some people can do that and some cant. I cant. Most people that dont go through the whole program will probably have the same comments about the place as i do. However when someone makes it through the whole program like Rook and everything worked out ok for them most likely they will have more good things to say about the place.

Having gone to Spartan for 3 years had its ups and downs. Their pilot groundschools are great. However they have taken to training international students which seem to take priority. I would recommend a mom & pop shop at any airport over Spartan

Spartan is a vocational school. IF you want to get a real education and become a good pilot look at Southeastern Oklahoma State University, the cost is about the same but you get a degree and a wonderful flight education

www.sosu.edu

bring a king size vat of vasoline from sam's if you choose to come

not bad though with the exception of prices, uniforms arnt bad, the internationals having priority is BS, they dont, maintenance is great if you can put up with flying a 52 for primary, other than that......dont live in student housing and dont go for the A.S degree, not worth the paper its written on

Kream926 said:
bring a king size vat of vasoline from sam's if you choose to come

not bad though with the exception of prices, uniforms arnt bad, the internationals having priority is BS, they dont, maintenance is great if you can put up with flying a 52 for primary, other than that......dont live in student housing and dont go for the A.S degree, not worth the paper its written on

Half of what you say is true:
-yes, get the vasoline
-the chinese do have priority. don't even get me started on them, they're bad news all around from safety to school quality and finances
-don't do the student housing, you can do it on your own (will get anyone in touch with current Tulsans if you PM me)
-go solely for flying, they will prolong your training by years if you do their degree programs (or just wait until you're an instructor to get the discount)

rip off

I was attending Spartan in 1992 and it sucked. Check out North American Institute of Aviation in South Carolina. I left Spartan and went there and had a great time plus it's only 15 miles from Myrtle beach.

I've done enough rants about spartan - do a search on the forum here (you'll even get a current price list ).

- Chinese do get priority - except on weekends or after 8pm :rolleyes:

- maintenence is great, but we are paying way to much for it.

- housing does suck - you will pay 10x more if you choose spartans housing options

- The A.S. program is the ONLY reason to go to spartan. If you don't want the A.S., don't bother going 141. You will pay LESS THAN HALF on a part 61 school than what you would at spartan.

I don't know what kream's smokin', but without the A.S. that school is worthless. Afterall, we do need a B.S. to get to the majors - but there are different options of getting that B.S. other than spartan.

Summary: If you do not want the A.S. or already have one, avoid spartan - you will regret it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back