• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DenverDude2002

Ramp Rat
Posting this for a friend:

Hello. I'm currently a senior in high school and looking at my college options. Last week, a rep from Spartan College of Aeronautics came to my house to tell me about the college. The following week I talked to an Expressjet F.O who went to Kent, and he told me that their were students who transferred from Spartan to Kent. Apparently they didn't care for it too much. The chief pilot (or assistand chief pilot of KSU, don't rember) also went there and did not like it. This lady wants me to fill out the application, and I'm not sure about it. I've heard a few bad things, and it's kind of makes me want to consider another college. Are there any pilots who attended, or are currently attending Spartan college? If so, please give some details if you like the program or not. Thank you.

eh, go to a different school

i'll tell your friend the same thing almost everyone else will: get a degree outside of aviation. I'm a Senior at Denison University in Ohio right now, getting my B.S. in biology. You want to get a degree outiside aviation for several reasons. It gives you something to fall back on if the airlines furlough or fire you, it will make you a diverse person since you'll be at a university that offers hundreds of different majors instead of spartan that only offers aviation-related ones. You will meet so many different people whose interestes extend far beyond flying. Your friend can work through college and use the money he/she makes to do flight training, which is something I wish I had done. I wish I had made up my mind as a first year student and not a 2nd semester junior that I was going to be a pilot, that way I could have learned to fly as I went along. Also, if your friend decides the pilot life isn't for them, they have their degree that they can fall back on, not to mention any networking that they might have done during the their undergrad years. I love flying, I love aviation, but I love getting my degree outside of flying.

Also, I looked into Spartan for training after I graduate, and I personally did not care for the school. I have never been there or talked to anyone affiliated with it, but from the literature they sent me and the video I got, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Tell your friend good luck with his/her decision!

I went to Spartan...but it was a bit over 10 years ago, so take it for what it's worth. Overall, the school was what I expected. There were some instructors that I thought didn't do a good job...and I avoided them. I was assigned an instructor at one point that I didn't like, so I never even flew with him - just went to the Chief Instructor and told him I wanted to switch for personal reasons. He took care of it for me. Aside from those issues...the school was fine. It wasn't as if I walked away with an education like I would have walked away from Harvard with....but I didn't pay as much in two years(including all ratings) as they pay for a year at Harvard.

Bottom line is this....I work with guys from every training background...Military, large 141 schools like Spartan and Riddle, mom and pop part 61 schools, and even people that were trained by relatives that happened to be CFI's. Want to know how many times I've been asked in an interview about where I got my training? Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

If you need financial aid, it limits your choices. It sounds as if you are trying to decide between KSU and Spartan, though...so either one will work. I don't know where you live, but I'm guessing somewhere near KSU. If you DO live near KSU, and want to stay at home while going to school...go to KSU. If you want to move away and be a bit more independent, look at other options - like Spartan. Of course, there are MANY more options. How about awesome 4 year univiersities that happen to have a flight program...like Auburn University?

Don't limit yourself to aviation only schools. There are many colleges out there that offer aviation programs. You can get a degree outside of aviation while doing flight training.

PM me if you have any specific questions about Spartan.

I am a Spartan School of Aeronautics Allumi. Class of 75'.

I got very good training there. I wouldn't be the pilot I am today without the training I received at Spartan.

At least consider them.

I got my private and commercial at Spartan, was there from '89 through mid '91. It was a good school back then, and I'm sure it still is, although they have made a bunch fo changes since I was there. If you ask 10 people on this board about their personal preference of schools, you will get 10 different answers. You will here Spartan sucks, you will hear it is a good school, you will hear a bunch of opinions from a bunch of guys who have never even set foot in Tulsa, OK, let alone the Spartan campus. Bottom line... if you are thinking of going there, do yourself a favor and go visit the school personally. I would never recommend anyone picking a school by watching a video, or reading literature only. GO check it out, visit with the students, see the actual day to day operations, visit with the instructors. The recruiters will tell you exactly what you want to hear, but you can make a much better decision if you check it out for yourself. I was very happy with my training, as are many others, but you need to go check it out personally before you lend much weight to too many others opinions. On fact is clear... they've been in the business of training pilots for a bunch of years, so they must do something right.

DenverDude, I was in the same boat as you my senior year. A rep from Spartan came to talk to one of my classes, and I got setup with an interview with some guy from the schoo and that went well (except for when he gave me the line about "thousands of pilots will be retiring soon", that left a bad taste in my mouth because thats usually just BS). I was planning on attending until just a few months ago, when I found a school closer to home and cheaper. In hindsight, I think I made the right decision. For me, Spartan looked too big/strict/expensive for my personality. But as you know, each college is different for a different person.

I'll be sure to relay all the replies to my friend. Thanks.

As for me personally, I'm out of the flying game for now. Moving in 2 weeks to DFW to be with my fiance and flying just doesnt look like a viable option for a career anymore. I'm going to finish my 2 yr online (1 more semester) then transfer to University of North Texas and get a 4 year business management degree. I'd like to eventually get on with an airline on the management side instead of the flying side.

I don't have any personal experiecne with the school. I have talked with 2 people in the past 6 yrs of flying that had gone to the school and they both said they didn't do much flying there, just spending money.

Again..I don't have any personal experience with them so take it for what it's worth. The above posters mostly seemed to have gone there quite a few yrs back so it may be a competely different school now than it was over a decade ago. I have however more recently heard many great things about other school such as Airman Academy in Oklahoma...etc...so make sure you research the school thoroughly.

I went to Spartan from 96-99. I was there through both a/c change. (ie from 152's to katanna's & back) I believe that was what delayed my training majorly.

I never really had a problem w/ the school till my final year. Stay on top of your money and keep current and fly.

I am still in contact w/ some good people down there. The head of maintenance & head of purchasing are great people. Cheif Pilot (if she is still there) is an awsome person.

I found the people who tend to be an bit uh....... anal are the people down at the main campus.

If need be PM me & I will get you some contact names.

The school has a decent name in the industry. Not as expensive as Riddle or some of the others, but I believe the training is the same.

Their a/c are in top shape. I think they have 3 siminoles now and a kingair 90 now.

Last I heard their Bachleor degree was up in the air.

take care and remember why you are there & you should be fine.

Latest resources

Back