space-shuttle return to florida

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly_Chick said:
Have there been TFRs in the past for shuttle "shuttles"?

Not for the flight route, no.

It's true that with the Shuttle on its back, the 747 SCA can't fly very high or very fast. In fact, it can't make the trip from Edwards to the Cape unrefueled. It normally makes at least one stop along the way. I think one technical stop they use is Dyess AFB west of Abilene, TX.
I heard the SCA on the radio one time, but I've never seen it in person.

Well, the shuttle returned home today, about 30 minutes earlier than predicted.

We had it all planned out, our IR flight to depart 30 minutes before the 747/shuttle landing, called FSS, planned 'holds' for the first part of our flight so we could get the best view, ready with cameras in hand...

Then on the run-up I see a huge airplane across the horizon, then I realize it is really huge, then I realize it is the 747 with the shuttle on top. We had not even left the ground. A bit bummed yet also very happy that I did get to see it, what an amazing sight...

Fly_Chick said:
Well, the shuttle returned home today, about 30 minutes earlier than predicted.

We had it all planned out, our IR flight to depart 30 minutes before the 747/shuttle landing, called FSS, planned 'holds' for the first part of our flight so we could get the best view, ready with cameras in hand...

Then on the run-up I see a huge airplane across the horizon, then I realize it is really huge, then I realize it is the 747 with the shuttle on top. We had not even left the ground. A bit bummed yet also very happy that I did get to see it, what an amazing sight...
dang it, are you serious? i was hoping to at least be at EVB to look for it, not to mention be up flying. oh well. i'll pray for crappy weather next time it lands!

Yeah, and to add a little salt... I asked my student "did you get a weather brief" after they got off the phone with FSS, then I said "never mind, if the shuttle/shuttle is coming in, weather will not be a factor!" We were all set, even had the hold over COI all planned out for the best view...

Funny thing is about an hour into our flight (about 1hr 15 mins after shuttle landing) other people were asking approach about the arrival time of the shuttle so they could see it. Approach person stated they he just arrived on station and did not have any information.

Wonder what call sign they were under?

They used to land at Biggs field fairly often. They used a NASA XXX call sign. They used to send another aircraft out ahead 20 minutes to keep tabs on the winds/ride as well.

I've got a framed photo at home of the wife, (We were dating at the time) standing in front of the 747/Shuttle on the Biggs ramp. The Biggs Tower chief got us out there to see it. They used to keep a half-dozen GIs around it with M-16s, but don't know if that's still the norm.

Security is always very high, this is a national asset. Even here at KSC, Discovery has been demated from the 747 but has not been towed to the OPF yet, Military Helo's are in 24/7 area coverage to prevent any kind of attack while she is in the open air of the Space Center.....All of us here at KSC realize that seeing the combo (Shuttle/747) flying home yesterday "could" be the last time we see this until the day(s) when the Fleet will be sent to the national Park system for public viewing...

NASA has their own SWAT team that is posted and ready to respond at all times at KSC. When the astronauts are on the grounds they provide protective duty as well. They also have some pretty nice toys to play with as well. Some details are below:

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/swat_feature.html
NASA SWAT Team Profile

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=894519&size=L
NASA SWAT Helo In Action

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=887223&size=L
NASA SWAT Helo On Guard

http://www.bartnet.net/~jmt/nasa_swat.jpg
NASA SWAT Armored Van Behind Astronauts Van

Latest resources

Back