southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

commutair

How sooner will I get interviewed at Southwest If I buy my type rating now rather than weight? I originally applied with Southwest in November of 2002

Im in the process as we speak of getting my 737 type at HPA. (highly recommendend, but still have my oral and checkride to go).
(Oral Monday and Checkride next Sunday in the -300)

Will it help get the call? I have nothing to lose in trying. Will it make yourself more competitive? Absolutly.

If Southwest is were you want to park yourself for the rest of your career like me, then I would recommend getting the type and especially HPA. These guys are good..

Commutair

Your question is probably best answered by one of the people in the People Department. They probably would not give you a specific amount of time but they have said many times that type ratings make you more competitive.

Chase, who often posts on this board, has made the case on numerous occasions. You can search previous threads or PM him directly. He is a SWA pilot who is also an instructor at Higher Power Aviation (which I highly recommend to get your type).

My question is: how much time can you afford to wait to get the call? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? I think that if SWA is your goal, you should do everything in your power to make yourself as competitive as you can. While a type rating will not guarantee you employment at Southwest, it may help to paint a Big Picture of your desire and commitment to become part of the SWA family. You can state that on an interview but obviously actions speak much louder than words. In my case, I didn't even think of it. My only question was when? I got it before I even met the minimums more than 2 years ago.
Good luck to you and your decisions.

Latest resources

Back