• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest upbeat about growth after AirTran merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because that fence will protect your CURRENT positions in ATL. Growth will be realized by current SWA pilots...in ATL or anywhere else for that matter.

That is not a fence but a no bump or flush clause. A fence would do exactly as the word implies, it would fence off outsiders from positions or growth inside the fence.

It's said as an appeasement....

Very true, which makes me wonder why some Southwest partisans have suggested it.

That way you feel better when a staple is floated..... well at least you get to hold onto your base (well your "current" flying at your base) anyways..... :)

Because that fence will protect your CURRENT positions in ATL. Growth will be realized by current SWA pilots...in ATL or anywhere else for that matter.
You're Right "growth will be realized by Current SWA pilots". AirTran pilots will soon be "current SWA pilots". Both sides will gain from this merger - SWA pilots will not get their much wished for windfall. Sorry not going to happen.

Sorry not going to happen

Then, YOU tell us what is going to happen? Windfall = Tranny Pilots.

That is not a fence but a no bump or flush clause. A fence would do exactly as the word implies, it would fence off outsiders from positions or growth inside the fence.

Fences are not universally defined. They are established with specific considerations for the particular situation. Historically fences have been placed to protect a job for a stated period and then removed at different rates.

I have not seen a fence that prevents an airline adding gates or flights to a city a pilot job fence has been established. If there was a fence to keep pilot jobs in ATL, that fence would not prevent SWA from adding flights or terminating aircraft in ATL. The fence would likely just keep the company from affecting the current AT flying jobs for a period of times. I have seen fences of upwards to 10 years but can not recall the airline. NWA maybe?

It will take years to get all AT guys into training so there will be natural fences up until this can be accomplished. The Morris integration of 202 pilots took almost a year to complete. They started receiving SWA pay rates and benefits when they started class. I can imagine the same with the AT integration. It has been indicated by flight training management that the most new hires our school house can handle is about 700 pilots a year. With zero new hires that would take two and a half years to run the AT guys through the program. So with the likely hiring of new SWA pilots, it would take three, four maybe five years to get all the AT guys through training. I would think any fence agreement would fall within these lines of thinking.

This is still thinking like hub and spoke... That's not what we do-
I usually don't see Vegas except for the first takeoff and last landing- even on turns- and LAS and PHX are two of the most hub like domiciles-

A standard turn is really a round robin- ie: LAS-SAN-SJC-LAS

Only a select few markets go and come right back in the same airplane

So how would this fence work w/ that?
It will all be so bojangled combined when it's all said and done- no one will have their impenetrable fortress fiefdom-

And we DO NOT WANT ANY GROUP WITHIN SOUTHWEST PILOTS TO BE ISOLATED- YOU WILL BE SOUTHWEST PILOTS FLYING IN THE WHOLE OF THE SOUTHWEST SYSTEM

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back