• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to ‘trim headcount’ after growth in costs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a few years SWA will start charging for bags because they will realize the potential for 500 Million extra dollars per year is far more than the extra passengers gained from not charging. It may have worked initially but now folks just book cheapest ticket online and expect fees at the airport. After we start charging, SWA will will be giddy over the bag fee money like they were the first to figure this out. Our problem is inability to say we F'd up.

Then why not changed now (and saying it was a screw up doesn't count)?

It's like if American had of filed Bankruptcy with all the other majors back after 9-11, they probably wouldn't be in their current situation. Same with SWA and bags...should have done it with the rest of them. IMO they should say..."to stay competitive, bags fly cheaper" and charge 10 bucks a bag.

In a few years SWA will start charging for bags because they will realize the potential for 500 Million extra dollars per year is far more than the extra passengers gained from not charging. It may have worked initially but now folks just book cheapest ticket online and expect fees at the airport. After we start charging, SWA will will be giddy over the bag fee money like they were the first to figure this out. Our problem is inability to say we F'd up.

This was probably the most non kool-aid post from the SWA posters yet....

There's money to be made there no doubt.

Ah, good ole' Marketing.

Southwest sets the market price...AKA " the Southwest effect" and charges an honest price that already has their costs and fees associated with it.

Airline "X" comes in with their brilliant ploy...Charge less for the ticket and hit the customer with baggage fees at the airport if they aren't savvy enough to read the fine print/fees schedule. This BTW is a large part of the traveling public. The folks who fly once every 2-3 years or so.

Great, they captured that segment of the customers for THAT flight.

Most people then realize ( when they get hit with the baggage fees) that the actual price was the same or very close to what they would have paid on SWA...and they feel as if they have been lied to.

They are NOT return customers. Ever. Next time, they pay to fly SWA and learn that not only was the price almost exactly the same, the service, people, and product are just that much better.

Those folks tell Milly and Bob down the street ALL about their experience with the two different airlines...and the following year when they go to see the new grandkid in Des Moines, I wonder who they are calling to book their flight?

The airlines that play the baggage fee game don't REALLY recognize ANY additional revenue(s) over what SWA did or does on the same flights or in the same markets.

They just move the Peas around among the Walnut shells in the accounting office and slap each other on the back while they blow smoke up each others arses and gloat over the "additional revenues" their brilliant bag fee plan has showed....in the "TPS Reports".

:)

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch in DFW, the SWA people sit and smile and say " Hey, Thanks for a great Marketing gimmick. WE can do just the opposite, garner the same revenue ( in every market where we set the price anyway ) AND make people think we're the Good Guys who aren't trying to rip you off."

"Bags Fly Free. "

Perfect.

I'd bet my remaining testicle....that SWA NEVER plays the baggage fee game.

EVER.

YKW

Last edited:
It looks to me like I am carrying anywhere from 30-120 bags per flight lately (even in the slower time of the year). That's $750. - $3,000. per flight.

You would have to sell 5 to 10 more tickets per flight to make up the revenue lost from the bag fees.

Are they doing it? Apparently. . . . It shouldn't be very difficult to determine.

Agreed, the turn times/boarding process could be much better without the carry-on circus.

Had this exact discussion with Mike V and Chuck M a few months ago.

The short answer was, Southwest will never charge for bags until the money offset from customers choosing SWA so they don't have to pay those fees is SUBSTANTIALLY less than what they could make charging for bags.

Right now, it's estimated they make a lot more money with their "Bags Fly Free" policy (and the associated ad campaign bringing in people who have been burnt by bag fees, especially with Spirit and Allegiant) than they would if they charged for bags in their system.

There's also other ancillary fees that help make up for it. People paying the up-charge to get the first boarding passes, etc. Their response was more detailed than that and had some proprietary $$$ info to it that I can't put on here, but the impression that I got was that they review this topic on a regular basis, have detailed estimates on the exact dollar figures each way, and they believe they aren't even close on reaching a changing point yet.

They're certainly smarter than I am about a lot of things, including revenue management, so I'll just keep flyin' 'em. :)

Lear,

I am going to politely disagree with you on your attack with Allegiant as an example. First, Allegiant and Southwest really dont compete much at all. Most places that Allegiant flies to, Southwest doesnt. However, lets take a route that there is some "overlap". Greenville SC to Orlando FL. I used October 31 for comparison.
Allegiant---> $42.30 (includes all ticketing fees/taxes). 1 bag online $20 , airport $35. Total-->$62.30 ( with online bag) or $77.30 (for the airport checked bag)

Southwest lowest fare $99 if you want to take a tour of Houston on your way to disneyworld or $166 nonstop (and all Allegiant flights are nonstop)

Either way the southwest customer is ponying up $25-125 MORE to get to orlando on Southwest with Allegiants Bag fee "burning" their customer! (depending on which combo you choose, bags/no bags, nonstop vs connection,,,,,either way the customer pays more on Southwest)

SWA can not ride the bags fly free forever. Every carrier that is making money is doing so by extra fees. With the avg number of bags that SWA is carrying on a daily basis, it could easily just charge 10.00 for a checked bag. That would equate to about 1.25 million per day. So if you do the math that would bring in about $37.4 million per month or $150 Million per quarter. No bad if you ask me but no one did I just ran the numbers.

Yeah when you see them quietly painting over the "bags fly free here" spot on the planes, you will know the bag fee is coming!

Btw, I wish all airlines went back to no bag fee policy, the whole a la carte fees policy has gotten out of hand!

Their slogan needs to be changed to "Bags Fly Free (under 50pds)! It's a great marketing tool though. I fly to CMH out of SEA and alas one of my bags weighs more than 50pds and I get charged $50.00 for it. Still a great bargan vs the other airlines. SW service is still topnotch as I fly them and AK as much as I can when I need to travel. :beer:

Latest resources

Back