• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erj-145mech

Southwest Selects Telex Airman ANR 850 As Standard-Issue Pilot Headset

Will Be Issued To Over 5,000 Pilots At Dallas-Based LCC

Telex announced this week that Southwest Airlines of Dallas, TX has selected the Telex Airman ANR 850 headset as its standard cockpit headset. The Airman 850 will be issued to each of the 5,000+ pilots who fly Southwest's fleet of more than 500 Boeing 737s.
Following an extensive evaluation and testing of many headsets, Southwest executives chose the Airman 850 for its overall design, comfort, and effective ANR.
In particular, Telex says that Southwest appreciated the headset's ability to significantly reduce cockpit wind noise, which allows for both enhanced communication clarity between pilot and air traffic control and increased pilot comfort. The Airman 850's battery-free operation means less expense and less environmental impact.
"As the market leader in aviation headsets, Telex is the brand of choice for nearly 70% of commercial pilots, and we are thrilled that Southwest Airlines has also made Telex their brand of choice for active noise reduction," says John Weeks, Sales Manager, Telex Aviation products.
"We greatly appreciate the confidence that Southwest has shown in us by selecting the Airman 850 for its cockpit crews, and, as leaders in each of our fields, we look forward to a long and productive partnership."

They cared a lot more for us after they banned the UflyMike headset combo, pissed off the wrong dude, and got sued for noisy cockpit environment.

After that they loved us to the tune of headsets for all!

Gup

I'd rather the company save the money on this POS and allow me to use my UFM/QCII combo again, like I did for almost 3 years.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put the headseats into the planes? Why issue 5000 when you could get by with a 1000?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just put the headseats into the planes? Why issue 5000 when you could get by with a 1000?
No

Ahhhh thats disgusting, and a pretty stupid thing to do during cold and flu season.
SWA provides us with disinfectant wipes for the cockpit knobs and buttons to help with low sick calls.

My favorite line from the FA's "I feel awful and am running a fever can I come up front for a while and rest."

No

Ahhhh thats disgusting, and a pretty stupid thing to do during cold and flu season.
SWA provides us with disinfectant wipes for the cockpit knobs and buttons to help with low sick calls.

My favorite line from the FA's "I feel awful and am running a fever can I come up front for a while and rest."

JetBlue has headsets in the cockpit...and come to think about it, I never had any sick time in the bank.

They cared a lot more for us after they banned the UflyMike headset combo, pissed off the wrong dude, and got sued for noisy cockpit environment.

After that they loved us to the tune of headsets for all!

Gup

It this kind of stupid $hit our pilots complain about and get done. This was a complaint on an epic scale around here.

However, codeshare, lack of 100% 401k control, major reduction in profit sharing, no one gives a crap about. Yeah, we got headsets!!!

Just one of the many examples of the shear stupidity of pilots.

Latest resources

Back