Southwest Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said....

I understand your concern. There is NO airline that is 'safe'. None, zilch, zero..

However, SWA is the gorilla and will be so for some time. Long enough to eke out a career in this shi&ty profession? Only who knows.... Do your friggin homework and look at the METRICs of every airline. I mean: liquidity, market cap, analysist reports, etc. do you homework... Decide for yourself, it is an easy decision: SWA. FEDEX, UPS..... that is it, I don't care what ANYone else says.... That is about the most stable you'll find. Everything else is:

RISK vs REWARD

good luck sucka,
TC

Pickleball anyone????????? SERVE!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you have some studying to be doing?

Ridgemont sucks, Lincoln rules.:beer:

I'd say as far as airlines go SWA is the most safe. That said, it looks like with the January cutbacks that furloughs are possible if people don't take enough military leave ect.

It appears that a new hire starting today can plan on being on reserve in Oakland for the next two years since with zero growth for '09 and a 6% cutback in Jan that no newhires will be coming down the pipe. So let's say that new hire classes start in mid '10, it will take a few months to get them on the line and bump you off reserve. Therefore a new hire is probably looking at sitting reserve in Oakland until 2011.

I'd say as far as airlines go SWA is the most safe. That said, it looks like with the January cutbacks that furloughs are possible if people don't take enough military leave ect.

It appears that a new hire starting today can plan on being on reserve in Oakland for the next two years since with zero growth for '09 and a 6% cutback in Jan that no newhires will be coming down the pipe. So let's say that new hire classes start in mid '10, it will take a few months to get them on the line and bump you off reserve. Therefore a new hire is probably looking at sitting reserve in Oakland until 2011.

Perhaps while on Oakland, you can take them across the bridge to San Francisco to the "gay pride" parade that you'll be in.

I agree that the young lads coming aboard today are in for a looooooooooong hitch of reserve on the west coast.

I do not agree with "possible" furloughs. Not based on the current plan. I'd like to think we'd keep the no furlough label alive and well.

Gup

It's probably tough for Capt with 2 alimonies, child support, airplane, 2 houses, and a boat to give up on picking up open time. It seems like those guys would sell out a junior guy to maintian their lifestyle. Which decision do think a Capt would make: Take a 10% cut in block hours and sell the yacht, or screw the newhire, furlough him and the Capt can still pick up open time?

SWA is going to talk furlough to get the pilots to drop thier request for a cost of living raise.
They are going to get their 5 year pay freeze which will drop SWA pilot pay back below the legacies, just as the CEO who thinks SWA pilots are overpaid desires.
They will get to renig on an agreed upon section of the codeshare TA before the contract is even vetted to the masses so they can outsource SWA flying to third parties via code share agreements to all the places they don't want to invest in, yet want to reap the revenue.
You read it here first.
Interesting times...

Or I could be wrong.

That said, it looks like with the January cutbacks that furloughs are possible if people don't take enough military leave ect.

My buddy just got called this morning for an October interview. I doubt we are on the verge of furloughing anyone. You are a dip********************!

That said, it looks like with the January cutbacks that furloughs are possible if people don't take enough military leave ect.

My buddy just got called this morning for an October interview. I doubt we are on the verge of furloughing anyone. You are a dip********************!

Furlough until you hire; Hire until you furlough.

Latest resources

Back