• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest posts loss on buyouts, hedging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
translation: We are increasing the number of southwest passengers and you guys are losing passengers. they are coming to us because we don't charge bag fees.

When things turn around, they will stay with us. (In theory atleast)

Read the second comment down in the article you posted.

That means nothing. One guy? Did you look at the graphs? I have nothing against Southwest at all. You have a great product but I think it's only a matter of time before you guys start doing the same. The only questions is, how much will it cost to check a Hefty garbage bag? :D

Last edited:
Southwest does charge for bags. They charge for the 3rd and any that are over weight. Gary Kelly also stated on CNBC this morning that the policy could always change in the future.

I will take a loss of 16 million after special items over the next couple of reports coming in the next few days......say what you want....all airlines are bleeding now and the first to lose all their blood will be gone. I hope someone goes because it will be good for the industry as a whole....anyone saying otherwise can't see the big picture.....I hope it is not my airline and you probably hope it is not yours.....It will suck for the empoyees but the industry will turn around because all those passengers will fly someone else who then can make money.

That means nothing. One guy? Did you look at the graphs? I have nothing against Southwest at all. You have a great product but I think it's only a matter of time before you guys start doing the same. The only questions is, how much will it cost to check a Hefty garbage bag? :D

Thanks for the laugh! I'm thinking Jethro and Ellie May. But to SW's credit, they are a survivor. The aren't immune to the industry's problems as a whole, but they have figured out the part about taking care of the employees first (something most of the others haven't figured out yet; not taught in Harvard MBA school).

Latest resources

Back