• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Pilots Aggressively Push Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FoxHunter, I'm sure that your jab at Dr Jordan was in jest, but some here may read it as truth. Dr. Jordan was the Federal Air Surgeon when Bob Hoover's medical got pulled at 72. He withstood the heat of that decision and stayed on as Federal Air Surgeon. I don't know if Bob Hoover's turned a wheel since then, but I didn't see anything about him performing in airshows after that.

Whistlin' Dan, are you aware that the Federal Air Surgeon has no authority over the licensing of automobile drivers, truck drivers, boaters, and locomotive engineers? That being the case, why would he make any public statements about the licensing of operators of those types of equipment? However, he does have authority over the medical licensing of aircraft pilots and the Federal Air Surgeon's position on age 60 is crystal clear.

If anyone should be in favor of raising the age, I should be a poster child for it. I'll be turning 46 in a few months and my third child (wife's first) is due shortly thereafter. I'll be 'forced' to retire when my child is 14 years old; it sure would be nice to be able to work until the child's at least in college. Granted, I'm furloughed, but I plan on taking the maximum permissible military leave of absence (six years) once I'm recalled. I wouldn't mind making it another nine years of military service instead of six.
Yet I oppose any changes to the age 60 rule because I can see my skills deteriorating, and I've watched the skills of others deteriorate. I've seen too many pilots who wouldn't know when to call it quits. And anyone who tells me that medical testing is going to screen those people out, I'd like them to tell me how that is happening today.
Why is 65 a reasonable age when 60 is unreasonable? Why stop at 65? Why have any age limit?
This also opens that perverbial Pandora's box to all other professions. If anyone here doesn't think that there would be an avalanche of lawsuits claiming age discrimination for mandatory retirement ages across a variety of professions, they're smoking crack. I have a problem with 65 year old firefighters.

Last edited:
The Pro-Age 60-Discrimination crowd has done more to advance the repeal of the Age 60 rule than any lobbying group could ever do. Please don't stop writing your letters demanding forced early retirement on everyone in order to "insure" your phantom upgrade. Please don't move from your stand of, "It's been that way forever." Please don't stop trying to pander to the emotions by suggesting that older pilots pose a safety risk. Please keep harping on the greed of senior Captains as the hidden justification for the move to repeal a patently unnecessary law.

Please, I'll even write the letters and send them for you! The legistalors whom you hold in such distain that you think they can be manipulated into supporting the continued discrimination of qualified people to pursue their profession, surely are too stupid to see through your thinly-veiled agenda.

To those who give unsolicited employment advice such as, "Go teach in the sim" or "Go buy a 182", I counter, "Go pass an age 60 retirement in your airline's CBA." You get your uninterrupted upgrades (HAH!) and you insure that your airline is scheduled with safety. As someone has previously posted, the Age 60 rule wouldn't stand a chance if it were attempted today. So why not prove the support your discrimination has by passing a CBA with firm AGE 60 retirement language in it.

As support continues to build for finally disposing with the age 60 rule, all I have to say to those proponents of continued discrimination is, "Whatever you're doing, don't stop."

Be assured, there are many, many pilots at SWA that do not want the retirement age changed, and are less than pleased with the vast amounts of time and money that are being spent by SWAPA in this pursuit. Not to mention, it's hard to understand the company's support of such a change, as it seems that pilot productivity will not exactly improve after a change in the retirement age.

Andy, I saw Bob Hoover's last performance in the Shrike at Reno about 7 years ago. It didn't look like his shows when he was younger but it was ok. I just retired at 60 from a major and have wondered how do you know when you are too old. I can't answer that question. I still call my hair color brown but most is grey. It is such a gradual process of ageing that you compensate and only by looking at past pictures can you really tell any difference. A physical doesn't prove much.

Now, after three years of retirement, I am happy I didn't have to decide because it was done for me. I still have a first class physical but haven't flown since retirement. Never thought I could give it up but don't regret it either. Going six months at a time passing physicals might have made me continue too long. Waking up in the morning with nothing to do is a wonderful thing.

Bringupthebird said:
The Pro-Age 60-Discrimination crowd has done more to advance the repeal of the Age 60 rule than any lobbying group could ever do. Please don't stop writing your letters demanding forced early retirement on everyone in order to "insure" your phantom upgrade. Please don't move from your stand of, "It's been that way forever." Please don't stop trying to pander to the emotions by suggesting that older pilots pose a safety risk. Please keep harping on the greed of senior Captains as the hidden justification for the move to repeal a patently unnecessary law.

Please, I'll even write the letters and send them for you! The legistalors whom you hold in such distain that you think they can be manipulated into supporting the continued discrimination of qualified people to pursue their profession, surely are too stupid to see through your thinly-veiled agenda.
This one got me. Our thinly veiled agenda? You guys are on the razors edge of it's about safety. But wait... no, it's because I lost my pension. But it's discrimination... please. Just come out and say it's about making more money.

To those who give unsolicited employment advice such as, "Go teach in the sim" or "Go buy a 182", I counter, "Go pass an age 60 retirement in your airline's CBA." I don't need to... we already have a law for that. You get your uninterrupted upgrades (HAH!) and you insure that your airline is scheduled with safety. As someone has previously posted, the Age 60 rule wouldn't stand a chance if it were attempted today. So why not prove the support your discrimination has by passing a CBA with firm AGE 60 retirement language in it.

As support continues to build for finally disposing with the age 60 rule, all I have to say to those proponents of continued discrimination is, "Whatever you're doing, don't stop."
You know the data is there to support the fact that aging pilots are more prone to illness. Just collect all the data on sick call usage over the last 20 years and see the rate of sick call useage of those engineers over 60 and those catains nearing 60. It goes up ten-fold. So to me the data suggests that as you near or pass that 60 mark you become more and more incapable of flying your schedule.

I'd like to see that rubutted in Congress...
"No Congressman... you see they really weren't sick. They were manipulating the system so they gan get more paid time off. They were lying..."

If they want the time off that badly, retire.

Sluggo_63 said:
You know the data is there to support the fact that aging pilots are more prone to illness. Just collect all the data on sick call usage over the last 20 years and see the rate of sick call useage of those engineers over 60 and those catains nearing 60. It goes up ten-fold. So to me the data suggests that as you near or pass that 60 mark you become more and more incapable of flying your schedule.

I'd like to see that rubutted in Congress...
"No Congressman... you see they really weren't sick. They were manipulating the system so they gan get more paid time off. They were lying..."

If they want the time off that badly, retire.

No, if all earned sick leave was paid upon retirement there would not be a problem age 60 or age 65. Many just decide to have zero sick leave remaining upon retirement.

Everyone I know that approaches retirement tries to use as much sick time that they accrued as possible. I still had a year of sick time left at retirement and lost it all since the company didn't pay anything for unused sick time. I always wondered if using a ton of sick time the last year would hinder you if you applied for a job again.

I heard one of the fractionals has done a comprehensive study on fatigue. It is going to result in fewer (if any) age 60+ pilots being hired. They can't even finish a whole duty day more often than not.

Chest Rockwell said:
If the age 60 rule did not exist today, I do not believe anyone would have a sufficient arguement to get it passed.

You could get anything passed when it gets handled like this. The majority of pilots don't support it, industry doesn't either, and an earnest safety dialog hasn't even taken place. This is being forced onto us by ICAO.

If it doesn't pass this time, it never will. It won't get this close again.

FoxHunter said:
No, if all earned sick leave was paid upon retirement there would not be a problem age 60 or age 65. Many just decide to have zero sick leave remaining upon retirement.

If it's not built into your CBA, your manipulating the system. Your reasoning would impress no one.

I seriously doubt you've really impressed too many congressional staffers, much less an actual congressperson.

Latest resources

Back