Southwest nightmare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mvi,

I also want to ask, did you take the opportunity to check your FAA file. I had a friend who was the chief pilot for Grande Air for many years ask this very question of me, this after I'd filled out the online app. So I did an accident/incident inquiry and come to find out that indeed I had an incident on my record...I was shocked. Although this incident was a system malfunction that resulted in an injury to my copilot and no violation, I had absolutely NO idea it was on my record. So when I filled out the pre-interview application I stated that I had an incident, provided a copy of the letter from the FAA, and also provided a brief description of what had happen. Now if it hadn't been for my buddy asking me that I'd never known and who's to say what the outcome would've been.

RJ

MVI,

Few thoughts for you. Firstly you mentioned the open container issue. Did you mention the open container on your paperwork? I suppose that you did not, as it appears that you did your own research and concluded that the record didn't exist? Secondly, is there a place on the application that requires you to admit to such an infraction? I just skimmed over the "supplemental pilot information" form and didn't see anything that would require you to disclose that kind of info. I'm curious if on the app anywhere it asks for this type of information.

I do think that it is very strange that they would have found this type of info this late in the game. It is probably a bit late for this, but food for thought, somethings may be better off not discussed on this board (I know it is a EXCELLENT source of refrence, and there are some truly great people who contribute to it) but I bet all of us would be suprised by who reads what is said here. Anyway, just my worthless 2 cents!!!

S.B.

MVI:

I would hire an lawyer and sue these PFT bastards for the cost of a type rating. When are you people going to wake up and smell the Kool-aid?

MVI here's a couple of suggestions!

Here's my suggestion, speaking from experience.

I need to be brief because I'm flying in an hour.

1. The Fair Credit Reporting Act gives you the right to find out exactly what SWA found out in your background check without you needing to contact SWA. The company that did your background check is US Investigations, their number is 800 888 1735. All you'll need to do is is tell them you were denied employment and they have to disclose a complete report of you they turned into SWA. That's your base line to find out if any criminal or civil public records info turned up.

2. If that turns up any info you did not disclose that could be described as negative. Well, if it's factual, your pretty much out of luck. However, if it's in error, the Pilot Records Improvement Act gives you the right to submit a counter statement to the information. You basically have a right to speak your side or present the real facts to Jennifer or SWA.

3. The final possibility which you will not be able to prove, which was my case, is that during your background check someone bad mouthed you! And I know SWA holds that aspect near and dear to their hearts. All I can suggest, if that is a possibility, you need to figure put who it is, and try to work things out for the future. I'd like to help you out more, but gotta run.

Privately email me and I'll be happy to tell you how I got around all that stuff!

Good luck brother...

MVI:

Sorry to hear about what has happened to you. It is absolutely unbelievable......

I am curious as to if SWA told you "to go out and get the type in order to proceed with the hiring process" or if you got the type on your own.

I find that hard to believe that they would tell you to go and get the type and then a few weeks later change their minds.

Man, I hope this is not a start to a trend.....

LearAv8r-

No, SWA told me to get the type. I received the letter telling me I had 6 months.I got the type, faxed it to them. Jennifer called the next day and told me that I'm in the pool.

MVI,

Man, I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. After reading the last few pages it seems that you have filled out the application correctly, and you have jumped through the hoops necessary to get hired by SWA.

What you really need to get done ASAP is run a very thorough background check on yourself. Don't rely on the cheap internet self search to get the job done. You need to hire a professional and do it right.

It is going to cost a few bucks, but once you have all the information the facts will speak for themselves. Keep in contact with SWA and try getting the reasons for you not continuing with your job at Southwest.

I suggest you go over the SWA application with a fine tooth comb, make sure you answered every question correctly. If you have done no wrong then you find yourself in that 737 someday. Hopefully you can present a case to SWA that they have made a mistake, and need to allow you to continue on in the process. I am hoping that they have made a mistake in identity, and that your troubles find some answers real soon.

Take care brother!

mvi said:
I did have an open container on a beach about 10 years ago. Will this come up? Their backround check must be different than the ones we ourselves can obtain.

Had a friend get "hired" at Northwest a few years ago with the same infraction. His was settled in court and told case dismissed.
He did not put it on his app and NWA later found it and recinded the job offer 6 days before ground school.

MVI,
This definitely sucks and I do feel for what you have gone through. For all of you guys who think that a speeding ticket 15 years ago matters; it does NOT. They do not have a super secret computer that can dredge up such stuff. What you can get yourself is all they can get. If they find a DUI that you didn't report then yes, you have a problem. If they find a speeding ticket 10 years ago that you didn't report, then no you don't have a problem. This is not United. Something small like that will not terminate your process.

SWA is very careful about how they word their offer of employment. Until the chief pilot calls and offers a date, you are really just "continuing the process". For that matter, no one is truly "on-board" until they pass their probation check after their first year and gain the coveted union grievance protection.

The fact I find interesting about this is your references were called a couple weeks ago. A better question to ask yourself is whether there is someone working at SWA who has reason to believe you would not make a good SWA pilot? I hope you find out what happened, as this has to be a monumental disappointment. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back