• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest new hire pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No code share on anything a 737 can do? The only hope we have is growth. The only growth to be had is international. I'm not willing to outsource our only hope hope for growth. Sure Mexico is nice but why give up on Europe, Asia, etc.?

737 to Europe or Asia? Exactly what route from the US to Asia are you talking about?

737 to Europe or Asia? Exactly what route from the US to Asia are you talking about?

Whoops, I get it, I read it too quickly....you are actually saying don't allow code share on those routes just because they are routes you would not fly with a 737 aren't you? My bad!

Last edited:
No doubt, still doesn't answer the question. How many retirements are there , how much growth can there be, and how does that equate to upgrade, I'm 44, so it's a valid question.

There are approx 120 retirements per year for the next few, that's not a lot. For the rest of your valid questions please contact Nostrodamus.

No doubt, still doesn't answer the question. How many retirements are there , how much growth can there be, and how does that equate to upgrade, I'm 44, so it's a valid question.

It's just my opinion, and I'll concede that it does, by design, help me feel better, but upgrade thinking is regional thinking. I simply don't believe in judging a career by the virtues of the super senior and top job. It is a much better judge of a career to see how the QOL of the bottom job is. That is all that is guaranteed.
Plenty of pilots took jobs at united in 2000 with those 3 year upgrades. Things can and often have gone backwards too- so it's often a moving target- and what it is, isn't what it will be. And what is for one class may be very different for classes later in the year.

This is NOT a slam against legacies or a pro SWA argument. (Our guarantee with a class date is as a reserve FO and our reserve rules have a lot to be desired despite 15 days off. -and why it's a priority during this section 6)

I'm just saying it's more logical to think about what you're guaranteed to experience, not the something better that may or may not happen.

Right in line is DO NOT buy your captain house in anticipation of an upgrade...
That's been experienced too many times

It's just my opinion, and I'll concede that it does, by design, help me feel better, but upgrade thinking is regional thinking. I simply don't believe in judging a career by the virtues of the super senior and top job. It is a much better judge of a career to see how the QOL of the bottom job is. That is all that is guaranteed.
Plenty of pilots took jobs at united in 2000 with those 3 year upgrades. Things can and often have gone backwards too- so it's often a moving target- and what it is, isn't what it will be. And what is for one class may be very different for classes later in the year.

This is NOT a slam against legacies or a pro SWA argument. (Our guarantee with a class date is as a reserve FO and our reserve rules have a lot to be desired despite 15 days off. -and why it's a priority during this section 6)

I'm just saying it's more logical to think about what you're guaranteed to experience, not the something better that may or may not happen.

I guess the bottom of SWA is better than most, just trying to get a feel for what's floating around. I know there's been a lot going on over there. From the outside looking in, it looks a little confusing. I believe SWA is a great place to work, and living next to the junior base makes it more so.

Personally, flying around the globe, waking up in weird time zones and getting stomach bugs doesn't appeal to me. Some of us are perfectly happy bouncing around the good ol' US, enjoying great benefits and having a blast at work

Me too....wanna swap?

You will no longer need air freshners in your bathroom once you cross over. My crap doesn't smell anymore. Amazing!

Unless they outsource all of or international flying I think SWA is the place to be now. Hell we haven't even started charging for bags and we are still doing good. We are just in the construction phase w/ loud noises and dust everywhere. In a few years it will be very good according to my fortune cookie.

I am looking at the current Southwest contract. The base pay tables are adjusted each year by 2%. Two of the years the raise was variable. What percentage did they get?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back