• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Line on Credit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An agreement when a gun is held to your head is not truly an agreement.
Got a picture of that gun? Thought not. Look, just be honest, you pussied out and voted yes because of a rumor of something bad, if you had any conviction, you would have voted no, knowing you would have had the full weight of the courts on your side in arbitration.

But stop saying you had a gun to your head, that's childish.

Got a picture of that gun? Thought not. Look, just be honest, you pussied out and voted yes because of a rumor of something bad, if you had any conviction, you would have voted no, knowing you would have had the full weight of the courts on your side in arbitration.

You must have missed it the first 500 times I said it: I voted NO!

But stop saying you had a gun to your head, that's childish.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to make you understand what the yes voters were thinking. Whether you or I think the threats were real or credible is irrelevant. In their minds, they were most assuredly real, and they thought their jobs were on the line.

Hell, the MC joined right in and said idiotic things like "vote yes if you want to work for SWA, and vote no if you don't."
I thought you were going to have a heart attack in the other room when our favorite Texan uttered those words on a P2P conference call :)

Don't forget the other Chief Manager of Expectations. The former MEC rep that incessantly scared the crap out of AirTran pilots by stating the AirTran pilots were going to suffer a similar fate to the ATA pilots. He tried to pull a 180 in June 2011 but it was a little too late to turn the ship around by that point.

PCL_128,

Which is why I always favored ignoring the threats from both Chase and Kelly and moving forward with the process.

Yes, threats from Chase can and were ignored.

However, with Kelly, he never threatens -- never. He merely states what will happen when a labor unit has a decision to make.

Gary rarely takes a position, but when he does, you ignore it at your own peril.

Yeah, sure. Didn't buy it then, don't buy it now.

This recalling of the SLI is just a poking a turd to see if there is any more stink left, and finding out even an old turd still stinks if you poke it hard enough.

Maybe it is more your reading comprehension then forgetfulness...and just to clarify, I was commenting on what SL9 proposed not what we got.

I'd call stapling of 650 FOs almost all of them (of approx. 800).

I might call it that as well,... if it was true. Count again, Phred. Every Airtran pilot, CA or FO, was plugged into the Southwest seniority list at a point representing a loss of seniority averaging 2.5 years. All Airtran captains and the first ~450 Airtran FOs have original Southwest guys behind them on the list. After the last orig Southwest pilot on the list (as of the date the acquisition was announced--a 9/2008 hire), there are 370 Airtran pilots who were hired some time before him. They're behind them on the list because of a loss of seniority ranging from 22.5 months down to about 5 months. After that there's ~80 Airtran pilots hired in 2010. Did you want them to go above the Soutwhest 2008 hires? After that are all of both companies' new hires after the date of constructive notice.

So I suppose you can say that 370 Airtran FOs effectively got "stapled," in that their loss of seniority (all less than two years) put them behind the last Southwest FO on the date of constructive notice list.

Wrong again. Paragraph under the seat protections (H.2.e) prevent any AT guy from upgrading until the most junior 2007 (I mistakenly wrote 2005...my bad) hire can upgrade. This might have expired when the ATL fence was dropped but it was a gray area (guess how that would've gone) but was left open ended.

Still crap. Once more for the hard of hearing Phred, this statement of yours is IN NO WAY TRUE OR RELATED to what was actually agreed upon, and is actually happening... which, of course, is exactly what I was discussing with HA25.

This little tidbit, which you keep trying to insinuate is still in play, was from the first agreement, which was signed by exactly nobody. In case you're wondering, that bit was to accomodate those Southwest 2007 hires that you keep harping on, because they ALL had Airtran guys below them on the list holding perpetually protected Southwest captain seats. Not that it matters to anything now.

There you go again...assuming. I was not at AT to chase a fast upgrade or get the most pay. It was QOL in Atlanta. The CA seat and four stripes is not the end-all, be-all to me. I did way more important, better stuff in the military.

Fair enough.

Phred.

I was gonna' say it was YOU with the reading comprehension problem, but I really think it was just you being purposefully disingenuous. HA asked about the deal that was implemented. That is to say, in your words Phred, he actually asked about "what [you] got." He didn't ask about the DOA SLI9. I summarized the actual implemented deal for him. Then you accused me of "forgetting" about some things in the deal, then listed them. Your implication was that they were current and valid, even though they had no part in what we were actually discussing, which was "what we got." The only person talking about SL9 was YOU, Phred, and you pretended it was part of the accepted deal (SL10) to make HA25 think you got a worse deal than you did.

Everthing I said in my first post was correct.

Bubba

PCL,
You actually thought you could be bought by a company 4 times your size with pilots who've been at the company more than twice as long as your most senior pilot and you would all be ratio'd in???

There is absolutely no mystery why you are upset if you believe that. But it's kind of like being pissed when you find out the earth isn't the center of the universe.

That IS an IRRESPONSIBLE expectation for a union leader to represent.

You really thought you could be bought and improve on where you'd be at your date of hire? That was a realistic expectation of yours? I just want to be clear and to understand. How does that meet the definition of "fair" to you?

You actually thought you could be bought by a company 4 times your size with pilots who've been at the company more than twice as long as your most senior pilot and you would all be ratio'd in???
Actually Waveflyer, those things wouldn't have mattered much in the arbitration hearing. What would have mattered in my opinion were company balance sheet strength (ie, job security), pay and QOL of the pilots jobs brought by both groups, and the numbers of mandatory age 65 retirements brought by both groups.

I will agree with you that expectations on our side were not kept in check. I don't think expectations were kept in check on your side either. That is probably why there are many on both sides that are so upset.

PCL,

There is absolutely no mystery why you are upset if you believe that. But it's kind of like being pissed when you find out the earth isn't the center of the universe.

That IS an IRRESPONSIBLE expectation for a union leader to represent.

You really thought you could be bought and improve on where you'd be at your date of hire? That was a realistic expectation of yours? I just want to be clear and to understand. How does that meet the definition of "fair" to you?

Wave, had we gone to arbitration, something between DOH and a ratio'd list is exactly what would have transpired. You can deny it until you're blue in the face, but deep down, you know it to be true.

Latest resources

Back