Southwest "Just another airline now"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rajflyboy

I see this whole SWA and Air Tran deal as Southwest's last stand. No longer will they be as profitable as they once were. No longer will they be as successful as they once were. They will end up as just another airline.

Thats my 2 cents. What do you think?

Well anyone who thinks SWA ISN'T hub and spoke is sadly mistaken.

Still my dream job, so stick it. I even filled out my airtran app the day the acquisition was announced

I think you are dead wrong. This merger will make the combined airline a force to be reckoned with. I see major growth.

They are not dead yet...today i had some free time before meeting a friend for lunch near Love field so i stopped at SWA headquarters. It was buzzing with people with smiles on their faces and a huge parking lot was nearly full.
On the grass in front of the main entrance were 2 volleyball courts where
employees were having some fun in the nice weather.
Nice to see people doing well in this depressed economy.
PS; i am a UAL flyer from Chicago.

We had a volley ball game scheduled in College Park, but the net was stolen and the police were called to chase away the hookers.

The Volaris deal is dead due to the FAA's decision to downgrade Mexico's safety status.

Air-Tran provides SW with a turnkey international presence that they can learn from and build upon.

Air-Tran has an advanced reservation system and WN acknowledges that theirs is weak and needs replacement.

As another poster correctly points out it's been a long time since WN was strictly a point to point carrier.

One aircraft type allowing everybody to operate everything is cost effective only to a point. At an airline with a fleet below 200 units it saves dollars and makes sense. Once you get past a certain fleet count and base count everybody is not going to be in a position to operate everything anyway.

WN has already tacitly made this determination as they have decided the -800 offers operational advantages that outweigh the loss of complete FA crew interchangeability.

While the 717 will probably disappear as their leases expire I believe that WN will one day order another aircraft type. They will eventually decide to cross some blue water somewhere and will probably add a widebody fleet.

I don't know why the Southwest haters point to anything as significant as a livery change to foretell the doom of WN but the haters do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back