• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest joins the 21st Century!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VNAV looks good on paper - right until you get the "180 to the marker" clearance at the last minute.

Hal,
I've never flown a 737 yet (except the sim on my type rating course). But the VNAV on the A320 is great as long as you put winds in the FMS. What does it do in the 73 that you don't like?
Thanks,
BS

All of the problems I've had with it are on the descent. As long as the descent is on time and uninterupted (by ATC), your forecast winds are accurate, and no other changes are made, it will work. Not as well as the B757. I've seen the VS hit 4000fpm on the NG and the VNAV diconnect due to overspeed (vomit comet). All inflicted upon by the VNAV function. VNAV will not correct for speed until the AS is =/- 15 knots.

It works great for T/O power, climb, cruise, and VNAV approaches (again if set up properly and uninterupted). ATC will reek havoc in the system. I usually switch to VS if ATC interupts. On the descent page it will give you a good target VS to shoot for or guess what the VNAV will be doing.

A/T have always worked fine. Situational awareness improves greatly!

VNAV for T/O and climb will most likely save SWA quite a bit of fuel. For example: I've ridden SWA quite a bit and have noticed that while they set a "reduced power" for takeoff, that when climb power is set, it is an increase in power. I've never experienced that in the NG on VNAV. You can change the "Cost Index" to adjust for variables such as winds, routing, delays, crew costs, etc. This "can" save money as well if you spend the money and time to learn to use it. At ATA this has been a constant struggle with management to get them to properly use this function.

VNAV and A/T have not stopped many from hand flying the airplane. It's just one more tool available to the crew. "There are many ways to skin a cat," and you can't put every contingency in the AFM (or whatever). Don't fear it, but keep an eye on it.

VNAV looks good on paper - right until you get the "180 to the marker" clearance at the last minute.

Speed intervention works great, but you won't use VNAV on an ILS. Plan ahead, configure a little early if you're fast.

Now, if you can get your glass panels to look like glass instead of round dials, that would be sweet!!!

I think they'd freak out at how much the ASI tape wiggles vs. the ASI dial when they fly it. The ADC doesn't smooth it out much. You just don't notice it as much with the dial.

Now, if you can get your glass panels to look like glass instead of round dials, that would be sweet!!!

That, and flip the switch so we don't have to do the 500 400 etc call outs.

But I really wanna watch the old guys fly an RNP approach in CWS Pitch + Roll

But I really wanna watch the old guys fly an RNP approach in CWS Pitch + Roll

= BOOM!

Not to worry. The FAA won't let that be a "normal" procedure. Fully coupled, or not at all.

I have flown bigger Boeings that are much better than either the 737-300 or 700 in pitch control in level change (flight level change) and VNAV. I am no engineer and have no idea why, but assume there must be software differences that contribute.

Some at SWA claim that lack of autothrottles or other reasons are the culprit, but I don't think so. I have jumpseated in Cactus 73's where VNAV was properly used, but was suprised by the relatively abrupt pitch changes that I saw in comparison with a 747-400 for example. It is almost like Hal is always just a step behind. Throw out the gear in level change in a descent, and if you dont wind the speed back in the window immediately you will see some pretty hefty pitch down rates and descent rates to hold speed that other aircraft dampen out better.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back