• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest effect ending?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any educated person will shop the fares and many will realize that the assumption that SWA is the cheapest may not always be true. The playing field is about to level.

Fact is the SWA has been the smartest out there. Why? They do not let these discount travel brokers sell their fares. You have to go to their web site to see them. Many cannot multi-task, or add what multiple legs would be. It has worked for them.
I think that is why you see all of the airlines giving the best prices on their own websites.

I know I looked at SWA out of BHM to DAL. 230+ each way. All the others were a lot cheaper.

Walk up the ticket counter today and see the price difference. Often times its more than a thousand bucks.

Our low cost concept is often misunderstood.

Never said we were the cheapest.

Well, this says quite a bit.

Average Second-Quarter Domestic Air Fares Reach Highest Quarterly Level;
Top 100 Airports: Highest Fare in Cincinnati, Lowest Fare at Dallas Love
Field

Rank Origin Second Quarter 2008
Highest Average Fares

1 Cincinnati, OH 595
2 Greenville/Spartanburg, SC 568
3 Knoxville TN 524
4 Madison, WI 468
5 Grand Rapids, MI 461
Average Fare at All Airports 352

Lowest Average Fares

Dallas Love, TX 221
2 Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena, CA 252
3 Houston Hobby, TX 256
4 Chicago Midway, Il 257
5 Oakland, CA 257

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics
* Not including Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico

Last edited:
Southwest is a great airline. I like their no nonsense approach to get you on your way. Way to go guys!

I just posted this in another thread but think it applies here as well:

One of the more reasoned bullish forecasts comes from JP Morgan's Jamie Baker. In mid-November, Baker was forecasting a 2% decline in total industry revenues, including ancillary fees.

But he now says: "The industry has realised $25 billion in annual fuel savings. It would take a 20% decline in revenues to negate the benefit, roughly three times worse than what was witnessed in 2002." So Baker's 2009 industry operating profit forecast moves from $6.4 billion to $9.2 billion, eclipsing 1997 and 1998's $8 billion record profit.

He says the network carriers' cost disadvantage compared to low-cost players is more or less erased. "As for Southwest, its competitive advantage has narrowed as it fuel advantage reverses, the company is shrinking for the first time in history and they may seek additional liquidity."

Some advantages are definetly shrinking. However, we haven't "shrunk" yet. We have more planes and pilots than we did last year at this time.

Latest resources

Back