• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Earns $152 Mill

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been at the hotel when the SWA new hires where going through training. Very impressed, they stick together and seem pretty tight.

First class operation, in my view.

That will be a change....the pilots here at the Trans stick together like oil and water

MATH
$152M for Q4, $178M for 2011 with 558 aircraft = $319K per airplane.

Or more sadly put about 3k a day revenue per each 40 million dollar aircraft. The five guys down the street does better than a 40 million dollar jet! And this isn't just SWA but all airlines.

Or more sadly put about 3k a day revenue per each 40 million dollar aircraft. The five guys down the street does better than a 40 million dollar jet! And this isn't just SWA but all airlines.

It's always been a low margin, capital intensive industry even during the best of times which don't come often in this business. It never ceases to amaze me that money always seems to be available to roll the dice on new-entrant carriers. I hope the industry as a whole is starting to get smarter and control capacity a little better. The aircraft leasing companies are what makes the industry possible and at the same time drives the overcapacity.

Huh? Isn't it 319,000/365=$874/day per jet (not counting AT jets). That's income though - not revenue.

Hmm.... Curious reply .....What is the source of your angst? And ....of course nobody stays on top forever.

SWA was never on top or industry leading, all the other's just fell so far that they found themselves on top. Quietly soldiering on, making money and maintaining a standard.

Doesn't matter how much, a profit is a profit. At least you don't have to look at continuous losses and lay on the bravado.

Latest resources

Back