Southwest Crew base...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyguy801

So, I hear there is going to be a crew base in LAS in October...

If so, will it be a Junior base? How soon should I apply if I want to be based in LAS?

For current SWA Flight attendants, how do you like it?

Thanks!

Apply today! I don't know what the turnaround time is for applying, interviewing, and class dates. The sooner you get onboard, the sooner you will have seniority. Seniority helps when bidding each month and bidding for vacations. I have been at SWA for over a decade and yes, it is STILL a great job.

The whole process can take up to a year. I applied last August, lucky to have had a group interview and one on one interview in one day in October (not the norm, some people will do there one on one a month AFTER there group interview), and I'm FINALLY headed to training in a few weeks after waiting nearly 8 months after the interview. Others have waited longer. Although I'm not 100% certain, I keep hearing that LAS will be junior as it's hard to commute into LAS and there is probably not a lot of people that live there. This being my third and LAST airline (knock on wood), I have not heard one bad thing about SWA. Which is weird, and I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop after all the BS I've had with previous airlines. All I can say is start the process now, one day of delaying can cost you a class date and senority number!

Can any of you give a pilot new to the airline industry going to work at SWA any advice from your perspective?

Why does it take so long?? SkyWest, Mesa, United and some other carries seem to be getting people in to classes with in a month or two of applying..

Not sure, and believe me, there were plenty of times where I was about to tell them where to put the training date (insert here).

The fact of the matter is, as far as QOL, pay, retirement, profit sharing, THEY are the number one airline. Although you can never say never, they have not furlough one employee since they have opened the doors.

I'm not too thrilled about looking like a camp counslor going to work. But I rather wear the ugly pants and be happy, than wearing a uniform designed by Kate Spade and being miseriable.

Apply now, it's worth the wait.

LAS junior? I dont work commercial but I find that hard to believe.
I would have thought that everyone would be dying to get out of places like Chicago and Baltimore.

LAS junior? I dont work commercial but I find that hard to believe.
I would have thought that everyone would be dying to get out of places like Chicago and Baltimore.

Can I ask where you live? Obviously it's got to be 10 times better than Chicago and Baltimore (do you sense my sarcasm?).

Obviously you don't fly SWA much, if you did, you would noticed we have older FA's that are married with kids. Not that easy to pack up the family and say "we're headed to vegas".

Time will tell how senior or how junior LAS will go. You worry about your corporate job where you have home basing, and I'll worry about commerical job that has set bases. Deal?

I'd guess it's like this. Some like Chicago, some like Vegas. Some like 8 legs a day domestic, some like one leg international. I could never fly for SW simply because they don't fly international, others couldn't stand being out of the country and want to be home more. That is the beauty of the airline jobs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back