• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines and DIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We would like SWA down in Colorado Springs! Forget Denver.

One of the reasons why SWA does not go into Denver is because of competition. Look at where the "home" bases of the big major airlines are. With the exception of Houston (IAH) and Seattle (SEA), SWA stays clear of the big boys, choosing a site that is close to the hub of the big airlines but not on the same field. For example, SWA doesn't come to ATL, but the fly a lot into BHM. They go to MDW instead of ORD, etc. I recall a time at the MSP airport when 2 SWA 737's landed there, one after another. They taxied over to get some fuel and then departed. I believe that that was a HUGE signal to Northwest that SWA can go to MSP, they just choose not to.

Also, when SWA starts thinking about going into a new city, they want to eventually have about 13 flights per day in and out of that airport. If they don't think they can do that, or the market won't support it, they don't go.

Would it be smart for SWA to go to DEN, absolutely not! Should they think about COS? Absolutely!

IMBB

In addition to my previous post, if SWA was concerned about snow and ice and their 20 minute turns, I doubt they'd be going to places like BDL, BUF, SLC, MDW, DTW, and BWI!

IMBB

With the exception of Houston (IAH) and Seattle (SEA), SWA stays clear of the big boys, choosing a site that is close to the hub of the big airlines but not on the same field.
According to that theory, SWA wouldn't fly into LAX, DTW, or STL.

There are some very smart people in Schedule Planning at SWA who evaluate the opportunities out there, and I'm sure they've done extensive analysis on COS, DEN, and probably three dozen other airports out there, including at least a couple that wouldn't occur to most of us. They've chosen RIC as the next city, and I'm sure they could give some excellent reasons as to why RIC won out over COS (even though I haven't heard what they might be).

BHM doesn't really compete with ATL for much traffic -- they're a bit too far apart for that purpose.

The incident of 2 jets landing at MSP & departing shortly afterwards was probably a charter flight -- a sports team or somesuch. It accomplishes nothing to land a jet at some major airport so as to "prove" that SWA can land there... I can't imagine anybody with some sense of geography & a little familiarity with a 737 ever doubted that the airport was within range of the aircraft. The interesting questions about opening a city deal with completely separate issues from that.

IMBB said:
In addition to my previous post, if SWA was concerned about snow and ice and their 20 minute turns, I doubt they'd be going to places like BDL, BUF, SLC, MDW, DTW, and BWI!

IMBB

Wait a minute......hold up.....back the truck up!

They know how to do 20 minute turns in BWI? Hogwash!

They know how to do 20 minute turns in BWI? Hogwash!
Sure they know how to do 20 minute turns in BWI -- the only catch is that you either have to have >100 thru pax, or < 30 pax getting off AND coming on, or have 4 ops agents working the flight. If you have any of those conditions, even BWI can do 20 minute turns all day long! :)

MDW, on the other hand, can only do 20 minute turns as long as there aren't any wheelchairs coming on or off; those stoneage elevators in the gates delay things beyond belief in the old gates in Chicago! :rolleyes:

It's all good, though -- just an excuse to request direct from every new controller! :D

Sorry to get off topic!

Snoopy58 said:
Sure they know how to do 20 minute turns in BWI -- the only catch is that you either have to have >100 thru pax, or < 30 pax getting off AND coming on, or have 4 ops agents working the flight. If you have any of those conditions, even BWI can do 20 minute turns all day long! :)

ROFLMAO!

Thank god somebody other than me sees there is a problem. BWI sucks completely.....I just Luv'ed watching them get a airplane 20 mins early and end up pushing it 20 mins late. Or taking a 15 min delay on a originator with 40 people on it.....my ops supe would have killed me for something like that.

I've really never had a problem with Midway....although the summertime groundstops every hour on the hour gets old. Also the equipment swaps issue was getting really old (just let me keep my -300.....no no NO....not another -700!)

Nashville rocks....they do great work down there

Orlando and Tampa do pretty good considering the issues(ya know....50 million preboards and wheelchairs galore!) they have.

Houston was killing me every night with the constant equipment swaps....but then again I'd rather them not send one of those ratty -200s up to the northeast.

Sorry for the rant, Back to your orginally scheduled topic!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back