Southern Air first yr pay...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

Just wondering if anyone out there 'in the know' would mind throwing a bone as to what a first year F/O might be expected to gross (including int'l perdiem) at Southern Air. I realize it can vary, but a rough average would be helpful.

I've seen the APC payscales, but they are of limited use since I don't know how many hours per month you guys average or how many days on.

Kalitta, Gemini, NAA, or anyone else feel free to chime in too.

Gracias campaneros

Just wondering if anyone out there 'in the know' would mind throwing a bone as to what a first year F/O might be expected to gross (including int'l perdiem) at Southern Air. I realize it can vary, but a rough average would be helpful.

I've seen the APC payscales, but they are of limited use since I don't know how many hours per month you guys average or how many days on.

Kalitta, Gemini, NAA, or anyone else feel free to chime in too.

Gracias campaneros

Look at MBG! It is ACMI flying, if you are crunching numbers, use MBG!

Ay cabron...had waaay to much Cuervo last nite.

Anyway, I dug a little and found some info posted a few months back that might actually be HELPFUL if it's still accurate.

There really is no average so to speak. There are guys that are hour ho's who get 80 or more a month, and those who do the least. Last month I got 33 hours overtime with only 23 days away from home. There really are no guarantees of overtime. If your friend does not mind being gone, there is plenty of work. If she wants to do the minimum, that is ok too. I think that she could get OT every month if she wants it. That may change when we are fully staffed. It is a crap shoot. This is ACMI after all. In my opinion, it isn't a bad place to be right now. It definitely is not FEDEX or UPS, but it is a place to build heavy time. It all depends on what your frien wants. Good luck.

and

Extended duty pay is extremely convoluted and hard to figure out but it simply raises the duty rig from 3.5 hours a day to just under 5 hours a day. If you stay out 20 days you will be paid 70 hours or more if you fly more. Don't get me wrong, it is not a dream job but isn't that bad either. You will not retire here but you will build heavy time.

Thus I answer my own question...hope it helps others out there. Don't know about that training bond though...yikes.

W/ the new merger, New Hires are actually now at $67.50/hr for First Officers. APC still has $57/hr listed. I'm not sure if that rate will continue to be offered to future classes or just the ones in place while the transition is taking place.
The past couple months I've talked to pilots that are flying between 60 - 80 hrs/mo & getting around 100 pay hr credits. Not bad.
Some like as many day off as possible - they get at least ten days off, but they'll usually wind up w/ 12 to 15 off - they'll do less than the 60 quarantee. Others like as many revenue hours as possible - they're most likely out all 20 days or even 2 or 3 additional days - they'll do 100+ rev. hrs/mo. .
Hope this helps, AV8NFun

Keep in mind.....the ACMI cargo business is really busy during Nov/Dec and then drops off in Jan for a few months.

Thanks for all dat imfo.

One more duma$$ question though: Does SA maintain any overseas bases?

I worked over in BAH for a few years back (oil co.) & paid almost zero US taxes, nada, - (also met some fine Navy folks and 'socialized' with the Filipina chicks). Fun, fun times I tell ya. Just wondering though, if anything remotely like that is possible in the ACMI world, or is it all CONUS and back? Thanks

Thanks for all dat imfo.

One more duma$$ question though: Does SA maintain any overseas bases?

I worked over in BAH for a few years back (oil co.) & paid almost zero US taxes, nada, - (also met some fine Navy folks and 'socialized' with the Filipina chicks). Fun, fun times I tell ya. Just wondering though, if anything remotely like that is possible in the ACMI world, or is it all CONUS and back? Thanks
Not really with Southern, at least at this time...

We home base, but here in the States...

Some of the Tech Reps (mechanics) have lived overseas (like in the PI's), but their situation better lends itself towards that sort of arrangement, as they could catch a quick + cheap flight to Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Korea and remain there working for weeks on end.

Southern Pilots on the otherhand are sent all over the globe, so starting off in CONUS is easier + cheaper.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
If your looking for some hard numbers, I made about $49,000 the first year and that is on the old pay scale with very little overtime. That also does not include per diem. Hope this helps. You can do a lot better if you are a ho.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back