South Park and the Airline Biz

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whine Lover

Does anyone know why there is a Braniff 727 at the end of each episode?

Also, I saw an episode recently about a group of otters and there were hidden references to their merging with another group of otters.

One group's initials just happened to be AAA and the other UAL.

What do these two guys (Parker and Stone) that produce South Park have to do with aviation and/or the airlines?

Anyone know?

YKW

Last edited:
From Southpark.com i did a search and this is what came up.

November , 2001

Q. - What's with the Braniff Airlines bit at the end of each episode? Believe it?

A. - I believe I've answered this before, but I'll do it again...for laughs. When Matt and Trey delivered the pilot to Comedy Central, they didn't have a bumper (you know, that card at the end of the show that tells you who created it).

Not having an appropriate company name or logo to use (Avenging Conscience notwithstanding), they tossed in the logo of Braniff Airlines - a defunct airline from the 60s and 70s - the music is the melody from "Cannibal." After the show aired, they were contacted by a company that owned the rights to the Braniff name and logo. An agreement was made to allow them the use of the logo on South Park broadcasts, but not on any other projects in the future.

Let that be a lesson to you kids. Always consult your lawyer.

Does anyone know why there is a Braniff 727 at the end of each episode?
YKW

I saw in an article that interviewed the guys and a Braniff ad just happened to be on the VCR tape that they had used for one of their very early prototype episodes.

They showed the episode to some network guys and at the end... there was the Braniff commercial!

They may have contracted to use the music/logo at a later point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braniff

A portion of an old Braniff advertisement with a Boeing 727 appears after the end credits (where production company logos normally go) of every episode of South Park. However, in 2001, the New York Trust that still owns the Braniff Trademarks informed South Park Studios not to use Braniff in any other formats.

The 12-note riff played on top of this ad during earlier South Park episodes is from a song, "Shpadoinkle Day" from Trey Parker's collegiate film project, "Alferd Packer: The Musical" (later filmed as Cannibal! The Musical). The lyrics associated with those notes are "The sky is blue/and all the leaves are green."

I would like to see that episode again where the weird teacher invented the rolling Greneral-Grievous-like wheel that was putting airlines out of business. Does anyone know what season that was, or what the episode was called?

Latest resources

Back