• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

super88

Loud clutches save lives.
Hey folks,

I fly a G150, part 91. We'll be doing a summer in the South Pacific while the owners pop around Easter Isalnd, Tahiti, Tonga, French Polynesia, and eventually ending up in New Zeland. Do any of you folks have any experience with parking in any of these places for exteneded stretches (4-6 weeks)?

We're a little uneasy about just leaving the equipement unattended. Wondering if there are any dependable MX operations in any of those spots that might be able to birddog our aircraft during that interval.

Thanks,
Gavin

As another poster said, try Universal weather. They keep notes and records from other pilots who have done those areas. Not cheap but worth knowing..

I know that there are some restrictions regarding Easter Island, but as wildbill posted, Universal will have all the details.

For first time true international operations, not Mexico or Canada, but real international operations for those that have never done this sort of operations, use Universal. Also take a International procedures course.

Yeah, they are a bit more expensive than others, but use them for the first couple of trips then change if you feel you need to.

Oh, no I don't work for Universal or get any kickbacks, I used them for over 20 years with very, very few minor problems.

Universal, for sure.

Also, be very aware that truly valid alternates can be many hundreds or thousands of miles away depending on time of day. Lots of airports that show up in searches don't have runway lights, which makes them useless after sunset. I have no idea about maintenance support in the area, unfortunately. Might be worth a call to Gulfstream to ask.

Hey folks,

I fly a G150, part 91. We'll be doing a summer in the South Pacific while the owners pop around Easter Isalnd, Tahiti, Tonga, French Polynesia, and eventually ending up in New Zeland. Do any of you folks have any experience with parking in any of these places for exteneded stretches (4-6 weeks)?

We're a little uneasy about just leaving the equipement unattended. Wondering if there are any dependable MX operations in any of those spots that might be able to birddog our aircraft during that interval.

Thanks,
Gavin

Can I go? I love it out that way. Lived on a yacht that visited many places you will be going to. Can't answer aviation specific stuff but you will love it off the airport.

I have flown all over down there, and the first place that you will find any kind of maintenance will be NZ and even that could be a challenge.

The good news is that you should have plenty of rain to help keep some of the salt at bay.

When you go to NZAA park at Air Centre... Gordy will take great care of you!

Feel free to PM....

Other than new Zealand, your airplane will be parked in a corner of the open ramp. Most places will not have a tug that can move it. There is no such thing as an FBO. I don't know what the legs are on the 150, but I'd reposition to PHNL if it was for weeks...

Latest resources

Back