Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whirlwind

Fling-wing pilot
Ed Guthrie was kind enough to provide this link. This has got to be the most amazing NTSB report I've ever read.

Link to NTSB Report

Just going from the report, it sounds like this is someone who really probably shouldn't have been flying, was in over his head for many years, and it finally caught up to him.

Of course, maybe the breakup had nothing to do with his skill level, but it sounds like if not, he would have done himself in sooner or later anyway.

"A fool and his money are soon flying more airplane than he can handle" comes to mind here. (the pilot was a radiologist)

One interesting point is the airplane had a lot of de-ice equipment including full de-ice gear on the engine, and TKS on the wings, but was not certified for flight into icing conditions. There was an Airmet Zulu for moderate to severe rime/mixed icing in clouds, and he reported on the radio he was in clouds at the time of the breakup.

The results look like an overstress, as noted in the NTSB report. My armchair quarterback opinion? He probably flew into conditions beyond his ability, realized it too late, tried to turn (as noted on the radar returns), pulled too hard, or perhaps entered a steep bank and pulled back on the yoke, overstressed the plane, and it came apart.

Related factors? This man has failed so many checkrides, 609 rides, and other things, he had no business being in an airplane.

That's my 2 cents from the cheap seats... :)

Jason

212-252kts at the breakup, whats Va in a Bonaza?

ShawnC said:
212-252kts at the breakup, whats Va in a Bonaza?

According to the POH, the airplane's maximum operating speed was 167 knots, indicated airspeed, and maximum maneuvering speed was 141 knots, indicated airspeed.

Jason

You have my permission to take yourself out of this rat race by your own stupidity. Leave the innocent by-standers alone! They TRUST you!
This guy should have been grounded a long time ago.

Whirlwind said:
According to the POH, the airplane's maximum operating speed was 167 knots, indicated airspeed, and maximum maneuvering speed was 141 knots, indicated airspeed.

Jason

I wonder if the Turbine Model had different numbers, but either way it shouldn't have been much different.

Anyways I was told because the Bonaza acclerates real easy while clean, drop the gear when in doubt.

ShawnC said:
I wonder if the Turbine Model had different numbers, but either way it shouldn't have been much different.

Those figures are from the NTSB report itself, so I would imagine they are accurate.

Anyways I was told because the Bonaza acclerates real easy while clean, drop the gear when in doubt.

Based on reading the report, that might have been what he did, given that two of the gear were deployed. Then again, the gear lever was up.

However it went down, a pilot who probably should not have been flying got three other people killed.

Very sad...

Jason

Someone should start a Darwin awards specifically for pilots... non pilots might not appreciate it, but it would be interesting to see just how hard some people try to kill themselves in airplanes.

One question.. what is meant by 3 point smoothing Groundspeed, 5 point smoothing GS and 7 point smoothing GS? I've never heard those terms before.

I only skimmed though the report so I might have missed some stuff.

Latest resources

Back