Something I've never seen before...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Check Essential

I was out riding yesterday and as I was crossing the Triborough Bridge into the city, I saw a helicopter towing a banner (actually, a billboard).

I used to tow banners many years ago and never heard of anyone doing so with a helicopter.

Wish I had my camera with me.

CE

I saw a Jetranger towing a banner in TEB a couple years ago. Yeah, it looked kinda wierd, and he was going even slower than a Supercub draggin' a rag in a stiff wind...

ive seen it done here (jqf) whenever there is a nascar race in town. seems like a boring job though, flying in short slow circles

I've seen a blimp pickup a banner in HWO.

I always though a C208A (675hp) would be a great banner plane.
Turbine time builder! (REALY big billboards!!)

CE

Check Essential said:
I was out riding yesterday and as I was crossing the Triborough Bridge into the city, I saw a helicopter towing a banner (actually, a billboard).

I used to tow banners many years ago and never heard of anyone doing so with a helicopter.

Wish I had my camera with me.

CE

When I was dragging a few years ago, a Jet Ranger would show up and tow around this huge billboard. Looked kind of silly...here was this helo with the nose pointed way down towing this HUGE billboard and going what looked like about 5 kts.

Doesn't that get a little expensive? I know absolutely zero about helicopters when it comes to operating costs, etc... but I always thought they were kind of more expensive to operate than, say, a light SEL airplane.

Just a guess, but I'd say they can probably pick up and tow a much larger banner than a light plane. If you're going around a stadium or something you want to go slow. So why not?

seethru said:
Doesn't that get a little expensive? I know absolutely zero about helicopters when it comes to operating costs, etc... but I always thought they were kind of more expensive to operate than, say, a light SEL airplane.

Bigger banner (billboard) and slower movement so you can target a
more specific audience (like a stadium) and a unique vehicle (the chopper)
may be worth the preimum price.

CE

I just have this disturbing image I keep replaying in my mind of a helicopter carrying this big bilboard over some stadium and the cables break. :)

God I have a sick sense of humor...

seethru said:
I just have this disturbing image I keep replaying in my mind of a helicopter carrying this big bilboard over some stadium and the cables break. :)

God I have a sick sense of humor...

OH GAWD THE HUMANITY OH NO IT'S A GIANT FLEXIBLE PLASTIC SIGN IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US ITS FALLING LIKE A BIG LEAF IT'LL HIT US IN A FEW MINUTES I KNOW IT

Oh wait no big deal.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back