something fishy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

208pilot

Your description of your background in the body of your text would leave me to believe you are extremely experienced but your total time in your profile is only 1400 hrs. That is not really a large amount of time. This begs many more questions like are you a FO or Capt at your regional and how many hours total time does your friend have? If your friend is legally qualified and insured by a company to fly his own plane you are assuming an enourmous amount of authority when you start to assess (on the internet no less) his flying ability. For instance, ask yourself is my friend such a bad pilot I need to contact the FAA about him or not. If he isnt and you wont contact the FAA yourself, than make up some nice excuse to get out of his plane and dont bother feeling quilty about it. Hasnt someone else (like an examiner) already done that job?

To respond to your post, I am by no means an "extremely experienced" pilot, in fact I am low-time like you said. The regional I "was" flying with was only for a short time, hardly worth anything. I merely mentioned that I was furloughed, and this was why I am flying with this gentleman. My boss is a good pilot, he does not need to be turned into the FAA. My problem is that when I fly with him, I am left out of the decision making process. Whether I am experienced enough or not to judge him on the internet is irrelevant, anyone I think would agree that two pilots is better then one. Especially in a two-pilot crew, the pilot with the greater concern over some situation should be listened to and either agreed with (even if you don't) or the pilot not concerned should discuss the situation until both are satisfied. In this situation, I am left out. I want to be either included and my opinion worth something, or I want to not have anything to do with it. That doesn't seem so bad does it?

Thanks for your post, I respect your opinion.

-low&slow
somewhere in the U.S.A.

Low&slow,
This is an excellent chance for you to use the CRM skills you learned in ground school. You are going to be flying with captains very similiar if not worse than your "boss". You need to be assertive without being confrontational. Use the C/L/R checklist.

Latest resources

Back